single pid setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyonbrewer

Reaction score
hello all

i am looking to convert my rig to electric using a simple, single PID setup.

Does anyone see any problems with running a single Auber 2362 PID & SSR to control my HLT/HERMS element in automated mode? I actually have a second 2362 i could use to monitor the mash temp.

After the sparge, I would unplug the HLT element and plug in the BK element, and then switch the PID to manual mode for the boil.

This also means that I would only have to wire up 1 element receptacle in my control box.

Please let me know if anyone sees any issues with this.

Also, can someone please explain what a contactor is? I would like my setup to have a physical disconnection option. Is this what a contactor can do? How does it compare to a mechanical relay or regular switch?

Thanks!
Jason

hello all

i am looking to convert my rig to electric using a simple, single PID setup.

Does anyone see any problems with running a single Auber 2362 PID & SSR to control my HLT/HERMS element in automated mode? I actually have a second 2362 i could use to monitor the mash temp.

You can do this. I personally prefer the temp probe to be mounted on the output of the HERMS coil instead of in the HLT, but that's a personal preference I suppose.

After the sparge, I would unplug the HLT element and plug in the BK element, and then switch the PID to manual mode for the boil.

This also means that I would only have to wire up 1 element receptacle in my control box.

Please let me know if anyone sees any issues with this.

You can do it this way. I've seen more than one system like that. Another option is to put a selector switch and two receptacles. That way you can just flip a switch to pick which thing is getting power and have them both plugged in at the same time.

But, swapping plugs is do-able.

Also, can someone please explain what a contactor is? I would like my setup to have a physical disconnection option. Is this what a contactor can do? How does it compare to a mechanical relay or regular switch?

Thanks!
Jason

A contactor is just a mechanical relay. A very heavy duty one. You use a control signal to activate them, and then they can pass along a much higher voltage/current signal.

I use a contactor to manually shut off my element. It's controlled with a 120V signal and pulls less than 500mA. When I flip a switch, that 120V causes the contactor to CLACK shut and it then passes along my 25A/240V signal to the element in my panel.

Contactors are actually a key part of the "selector" switch thing I was talking about.

The selector switch on the panel would just be enabling one of the two contactors at a time. The selector switch needs a center-off position so that you can de-select both contactors and have everything turned off.

Back