Bell's 2 Hearted Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppopotomus

Cedar Hollow Brewing
Reaction score
I know that this is a topic that has been beat to death on HBT, but I'm looking to make a 2 Hearted IPA clone and everyone seems to have subtle variations in their recipes. First off, I'm looking for an extract version (DME) with specialty grain steeping and plan on doing a 5 gallon batch with a 3 1/2 gallon boil. I have several versions of the recipe and was wondering if anyone who has more experience with this could chime in an point me in the right direction.

Malt Base: 7 Lbs Light DME OR 6 Lbs Light DME/1 Lb of Wheat DME

Grains: 1 Lb Crystal 10L OR 1/2 lb Munich+1/2 lb Crystal+1/2 lb Carapils

I'll figure out the Hop schedule, but 2 Hearted is supposed to be all Centennial Hops. Many people swear that its both Centennial and Cascade. What does everyone think?

Any advice from those that have tried this clone would be great! I'm looking forward to making a great IPA and being from Michigan, 2 Hearted is one of my favorites. :mug:

Yeah, I know that is what he says, but many seem to think that Cascade is combined with Centennial at the end of the boil and during dry hopping. I'll probably just stick with Centennial only. Any thoughts about the steeping grains or extracts? Thanks for replying. :mug:

Larry says Centennial only.

Hopped exclusively with the Centennial hop varietal from the Pacific Northwest, massive additions in the kettle and again in the fermenter lend their characteristic grapefruit and pine resin aromas.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/2-Two Hearted Ale

Yeah, I know that is what he says, but many seem to think that Cascade is combined with Centennial at the end of the boil and during dry hopping. I'll probably just stick with Centennial only. Any thoughts about the steeping grains or extracts? Thanks for replying. :mug:

I agree, I've tried to clone both the Bell's Two Hearted and the Founders Centenial IPA, my two all time favorite beers that can be bought in a bottle. Both are almost identical except for the slightly more grapefruit character in the Two hearted which I believe comes from the Cascade. I also think the 2 hearted spreads the hops out over the boil more than the Centennial which just used 3 additions. I can't remember the exact schedule that I used for the Two Hearted right now though.

Ok, I dug up the recipes I've tried. I personally like #1 the best but #3 is probably the closest to the real thing.

Two Hearted Clone Recipe 1
Golden Light DME-7.2 lbs
Cara-pils .5 lbs
C-20 .5 lbs
Centennial .5oz 60 mins
Centennial .5oz 45 mins
Centennial .5oz 30 mins
Centennial .5oz 15 mins
Centennial .5oz fl Centennial 1 oz DH
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Two Hearted Clone Recipe 2
7lb DME (light or extra light)
1/2 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (15L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
Wyeast 1056

Two Hearted Clone Recipe 3
The guy i got this recipe from claimed to have gotten it from the guy at bells' general store. 7lb DME (light or extra light)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils
1.5 oz centennial 60 min
0.5 oz centennial 30 min
0.75 oz cascade 10 min
0.25 oz cascade at flameout
dry hop .75 oz centennial and 1.00 oz cascade for 9 days.

Thanks for the options! :mug: I really want to make this next. With option #3, what yeast was use? I plan to try out a couple of different versions and picking my favorite in a head to head taste test. I plan on starting to keg in the near future and am trying to come up with my consistent line up. I just made a 3 Floyd's Gumballhead clone (a wheat beer with an IPA hop schedule with amarillo) and it turned out absolutely spectacular. The Gumballhead will be a staple. I want to try out several IPA's, so I plan on making a couple of Two Hearted clones, a Dogfish 60 minute IPA clone, and maybe a Stone IPA clone. Whatever turns out the best will be on tap #2. Then I just need to come up with another style...probably a lower ABV, easy drinker for my "non craft brew" friends that can't appreciate the beauty and aroma of really hoppy beer. Thanks again. :tank:

Ok, I dug up the recipes I've tried. I personally like #1 the best but #3 is probably the closest to the real thing.

Two Hearted Clone Recipe 1
Golden Light DME-7.2 lbs
Cara-pils .5 lbs
C-20 .5 lbs
Centennial .5oz 60 mins
Centennial .5oz 45 mins
Centennial .5oz 30 mins
Centennial .5oz 15 mins
Centennial .5oz fl Centennial 1 oz DH
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Two Hearted Clone Recipe 2
7lb DME (light or extra light)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
Wyeast 1056

Two Hearted Clone Recipe 3
The guy i got this recipe from claimed to have gotten it from the guy at bells' general store. 7lb DME (light or extra light)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils
1.5 oz centennial 60 min
0.5 oz centennial 30 min
0.75 oz cascade 10 min
0.25 oz cascade at flameout
dry hop .75 oz centennial and 1.00 oz cascade for 9 days.

Thanks for the options! :mug: I really want to make this next. With option #3, what yeast was use?

I'm a huge fan of Two Hearted Ale and for my latest batch I decided to harvest the actual yeast used by Bells. You do this the same way you'd harvest yeast from commercial beers but Bells recommended harvesting yeast from their Amber Ale since it has a lower ABV and the yeast in this beer will be much less stressed. They use the same yeast strain for Two Hearted, Amber Ale, and several others.

I bought a 6-pack of Bell's Amber Ale, decanted most of the beer from four of the bottles, poured the dregs into a flask with a small starter wort, put it in a warm place, and within 24-hours the yeast starter was fermenting at a ferocious pace.

So my next batch of Two Hearted will use the exact same yeast used by Bells. ;)

Latest posts

Back