No-Age Sweet Mead Ready in 3 Weeks-J.M.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be somewhat skeptical about how well it tastes after 3 weeks, but then Joe M. has provided us with some other good recipes that are ready quickly. If you only have to wait three weeks, I say try it and see. If nothing else, it'll only get better with age.

I've done two of Joe's recipes, but not that one. His Grape Mead was as advertised, quick and good. His AO was a little gamey for 6 months, then it was good. That one was advertised as a 3 month "quick" mead.

Looking at that recipe, there's no reason it shouldn't be drinkable in 3 weeks, it's relatively low gravity and 'finishes' very sweet at 1.020... that will mask a good bit of funkiness.

If you try that recipe, will you keep a brewlog on GM and link here? I'd like to follow it.

Let's get this up on the "Recipe Database" section for Mead. I can't tell you how long I searched for this over there, then remembered that it might be over here instead! :)

I followed this recipe, only once and once it will stay. It was just terrible.
I've had better results from JOAM, sincerely.

The 3 week method is how I was taught. After 3 weeks, decant, and let it sit for a day or two. It's very good.

I've made that recipe...it comes out sweet and high in alcohol. Some people who don't like the tartness of wine will really like it (much like a desert wine) and some will hate it because it is too sweet. Honestly, it is probably one of the better Mead recipes I have made, because I don't have the patience to wait a few years to see if something is any good. The next time I make it, I may play with the timing a little to get it a little drier, without losing all the sweetness. It does deliver a drinkable mead in 3 weeks.

I haven't done this recipe, but I recently had a similar idea (ie quick mead), and got some good advice in this thread: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17437&highlight=quick+dirty

TL;DR a lower gravity of 1.080 might work out better; stabilizing and then backsweetening will make it more quaffable; or you can add a bit of honey right before you drink it to sweeten it a bit and not fuss with stabilizing.

Been looking for this recipe, it is no longer on gotmead, and not in the recipe section here. I remember it used a mix of buckwheat and clover honey. Does anyone still have this recipe?

Been looking for this recipe, it is no longer on gotmead, and not in the recipe section here. I remember it used a mix of buckwheat and clover honey. Does anyone still have this recipe?

Back