Fridge stuck on.... to become ferment cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftTurnOnly

Reaction score
Hey gang.... Found out the other day that my folks' fridge appears to be stuck on now for what ever reason and is now freezing stuff no matter what. My thought was i could take it off their hands and it might still make a good fermentation cooler.

I was thinking if i plugged it into a 2 stage Ranco controller I'd be in business... and use the 2nd stage for a possible heater of some kind.

This would be my first temp control box so i've never messed with temp controllers like the Ranco, or the LOVE that i've seen in some other posts.. I'm assuming that even though it's stuck on, the controller would turn it off for me by cutting the power.

Does that seem like an ok plan?

Thanks a bunch...
:mug:

I bet the stats contacts are pitted and welded together, locate the the control knob and thump it with a screwdriver handle this may free up the contacts. If you can get to them dress them a little as they might stick again, you might get it operating just by dressing the contacts. Maybe just remove the wires controlling the old stat and add your own. You have ice that's a good sign it will cool down enough as a fermenting frige plus the price is right. One bad thing, get it running and the last owner gets pissed off after you get it running within minutes.

My thought would have been can I get the fridge to work ok for my parents!

I guess I am just old school and hope my kids would do the same for me.

My thought would have been can I get the fridge to work ok for my parents!

I guess I am just old school and hope my kids would do the same for me.

Ha... yea... normally, that would have been my first thought as well, as i would like my kids to do the same for me as well, though, by the time they told me about it, they had already gone to Lowe's and bought a new fridge. So i'll buy their old one from them, and haul it away for them as they just don't want it anymore.... yea... Kids these days.... It's all good samc...

Hey BrewBeemer.... Thanks for the idea on how it might be fixed. If it does work.. I doubt they'll be too upset if it's an easy fix, as i'm sure my dad will probably be drinking a good share of any beer fermented in it anyway... Ha... His fridge, his beer... I guess i'm just old school....

Thanks man.... :mug:

I was given 2 small fridges both were stuck on. The thermostat was broke was my thoughts. So I just bought 2 johnson controllers. works perfect now

I had a fridge that didn't turn on after sitting for 11 months, the contacts were oxidized no pitting just needed cleaning with 1,000 grit sandpaper. This on a fridge 19 months old, all's well again. You can have them fail both ways not alone out of the control knobs adjustment range, this can be readjusted and corrected also due to wear. They had to adjusted at the factory, fine thread screw with jam nut with a touch of paint as a thread / nut locking means.

Back