Family Goat Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eboeing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001 or Safale US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12° SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5-7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
20 days bottle conditioning
Tasting Notes
What I drink at home. Toasty malt flavor, dark red color, citrus and pine hops.
This is the base recipe for my house beer. I designed it to be what I'm always in the mood to drink. Toasty, nutty, almost burnt malt flavors, dark red color, clean yeast variety, and well-hopped with an emphasis on citrus and pine.

Most batches I change up some way; I alter the hops or add a half pound of dextrose or a little bit of rye or some dark Munich, etc. But this the reference point that I work from.

It's a partial mash; I like short brew days.

1.50 lbs Munich Malt
1.00 lbs Victory Malt
0.25 lbs Crystal 120L

Mash at 148° for 45 minutes

5.00 lbs Light Dry Malt Extract
(Liquid is fine too)

1.00 oz Centennial: 60 mins
0.50 oz Cascade/0.50 oz Amarillo: 15 mins
0.50 oz Cascade/0.50 oz Amarillo: 3 mins

Yeast: WLP001 or Safale US-05

Primary: 5-7 days
Secondary: 14 days
Bottle conditioning: 20 days

EDIT: The IBUs in the list at top should read 34 rather than 29.

Just got a chance to brew this one up. It's been in the primary for about 20 hours now and smells great already. Hopefully it will survive the 3 boilovers I managed to allow. Brewing at -5f outdoors is a challenge for sure.

My brewing software did not report a OG of 1.060 with the given grain and extract bill. OG for this batch was 1.043 with the software expecting 1.047 so i'm not stressing it too much.

Wow, cool! I didn't expect anybody to actually try brewing this; I just put it up here to, you know, be more involved with the community.

As to original gravity: You're right; 1.045 is what it should be. As you might have been able to tell, I wasn't too precise with the information at the top (it's not all-grain, either). When I want to up the OG, I add dextrose to make up the difference.

I like the lower alcohol version better, anyway. Let me know what you think!

Cool, sounds like I got pretty close to the expected values then. i'll let you know how it turns out in the end. I was looking for a simple pale ale to do and thus one fit the bill. Thanks for posting it.

Just got a chance to pull a glass from the keg after 2 days of 30psi. The hop profile is very well done and certainly not in you're face. Mine missed the color mark with some chill haze and soapy flavors due to letting it sit too long on the primary. Even after the problems in my process though it's a very drinkable beer. I'll be brewing another just to get my process sorted out. Thanks again for the recipie.

Back