Concerns about Tea bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsquires

Reaction score
I do extract brewing with steeping grains.
and i have allways used the "tea bags" to steep my grains and for my hops.
they do make for an easy removeal from the pot, but i have always wonder if the bags dont allow the grains and hops to soak in the water as well compared if i did not use any bags.
just wondering if anyone has come to a conclusion on this question.
-happy brewing

In extract and steeping brewing, I've never heard of anyone *not* using a bag for the steeping grains. If you didn't, you'd have to strain the wort to remove the grain, which can't be boiled (they will release excessive tannins if boiled).

In extract and steeping brewing, I've never heard of anyone *not* using a bag for the steeping grains. If you didn't, you'd have to strain the wort to remove the grain, which can't be boiled (they will release excessive tannins if boiled).

Now you have...:ban: I don't use a bag for my PMs.

I have a nylon net for my bucket that I pour the wort through after mashing. It collects all the grain.

I use it again (after the boil) when pouring the wort into the primary to catch the hops. ;)

Just don't pass out while drinking with your buddies... then there are no worries about tea-bags.

Back