Pitching yeast for bottling, a dry and wet hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Ok, bundling three questions into one. I've got my beer in the secondary on 6 pounds of fruit puree so my usual technique of sucking up some of the yeast cake into the bottling bucket won't work this time.

I've never pitched new yeast into the bottling bucket before so I was wondering if I should make a starter the day before or just pitch the yeast right in? BTW, it's a dry yeast for this batch.

I'm wet hopping a beer and want to make sure I have the math right. If my recipy calls for 1 ounce of hops, I need to multiply that by 5 to get the wet/fresh equivilent so I would need 5 ounces, correct?

As for the dry hop question. I'll be dry hopping the same beer with fresh hops. How do I ensure that no nasties contaminate my beer? Do I take some of the beer out, toss the hops into it and boil for 10 minutes to sanatize, then thwo that into the beer?

1. a) How long has it been on the fruit? b) What is the gravity of the beer? There should still be yeast in suspension if a) is short and b) is anything under really high gravity (<1.080 maybe). Regardless, if you pitch, rehydrate a measely 1 gram, and pitch that into your bottling bucket.

2. Yes. You could also weigh a portion of the hops wet. Dehydrate in the oven, and weigh again. Then, you can figure out the water content and use that to estimate the remaining wet hops so your calculation is spot on.

3. I don't really know.

I wouldn't bother adding more yeast, if it's only been a couple of weeks. If it had been a couple of months, then maybe.

I don't know much about dryhopping with wet hops, but it sounds interesting. Let us know how it comes out!

My experiences with using fresh hops post-ferment have been poor. No problem with contamination, but the chlorophyll (aka grassy) flavor was a problem. Also tried randelling with them. ugh!

Back