Resting a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
How do you know when you should employ a dialyctic rest after primary fermentation?

I'm getting ready to do a Bavarian Black beer with WLP838 (german southern) and am unsure if I need to do a rest...I went to the White Labs website and couldn't find anything regarding this topic.

How do you know when you should employ a dialyctic rest after primary fermentation?

I'm getting ready to do a Bavarian Black beer with WLP838 (german southern) and am unsure if I need to do a rest...I went to the White Labs website and couldn't find anything regarding this topic.

diacetyl isn't the only reason.........bringing it up to room temp for 24 hours lets the yeast clean up. Also, by removing it from your temp controlled environment the day before to your racking location..........it lets everything settle out nicely.....you can rack it without moving it, then take it to your lagering fridge and bring it down to your lagering temp.

Do I need to use the step up (control) method a few degrees a day to bring it up to room temp. Or should I just take it out of my temp controlled fridge and let it naturally curve up to room temp?

a diacetyl rest is one of the easiest things we can do to our beers...and it is also very benign...so the answer is always...it doesn't hurt a beer if you do one when it doesn't really need one...so there is really no point in NOT doing one...it is also the most simplest thing you can do...with lagers I usually just factor it into the time when I rack it into a secondary to lager...I rack, then rest it for 73 hours (or rest hen rack...it really doesn't matter) at room temperatures and then take it back down to lager temps....

If you have any more questions, look at this definitive thread on d-rests. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/preventing-diacetyl-hold-butter-please-70438/?highlight=butter

It's one of those brewing practices like using a hydrometer or sanitizing...there is really no reason to question the validity of doing it...and it doesn't hurt the beer,,,so there is no point in NOT doing it.

Back