So I sent the wife to the LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutsah

Reaction score
and she came back with whole hops. I love her, she's awesome but I am used to using the pellets and thus I have no bag for using these :tank: so any suggestions for using them (outside of going back to the LHBS and returning them or buying a bag to put em in) I am an all grain brewer.

You can also throw them in a food processor and divvy them up in cups. I just did that because I thought they'd work better with a hop spider I got. I don't know if it was needed but it worked great!

ETA: I should add, I did that the night before brewing.

Throw them loose in the kettle and then strain them through a strainer when pouring cooled wort into the fermenter.

and she came back with whole hops. I love her, she's awesome but I am used to using the pellets and thus I have no bag for using these :tank: so any suggestions for using them (outside of going back to the LHBS and returning them or buying a bag to put em in) I am an all grain brewer.

What is your plumbing setup?

Use em, but if ya tell us your setup we can tell ya how to avoid clogs.

If you have a ball valve / pump DO NOT just throw them into the kettle. I've done this, and when you go to transfer your wort these will clog that valve and you'll be stuck. If you're going to be dumping the wort from the kettle into a funnel, then you could probably get away with using a sanitized strainer. Hopefully this helps.

Cheers!

If you have a ball valve / pump DO NOT just throw them into the kettle. I've done this, and when you go to transfer your wort these will clog that valve and you'll be stuck. If you're going to be dumping the wort from the kettle into a funnel, then you could probably get away with using a sanitized strainer. Hopefully this helps.

Cheers!

Whole hops are equally unfriendly to auto-siphons in my experience as well. The only time I used whole hops the seeds really did a number on the seal inside the suction end of the siphon. At the very least I would probably put a muslin bag over the end of your siphon if you use one.

I use whole hops pretty much exclusively. I just toss them in. I ferment in a bucket (used to use carboys, but a bucket is so much more simple and easy to clean). I just lay one of these across the top of the bucket and pour:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VZERX4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If i use a ton of hops I may have to dump the strainer one or twice, but it takes seconds. Piece of cake!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your plumbing setup?

Use em, but if ya tell us your setup we can tell ya how to avoid clogs.
I use carbouys to ferment. and siphon into them with a tube and plastic siphon, very low tech so I'm thinking that the siphon would clog quite a bit.

Title says it all... and every time you pour a brew you will remember how awsome she really is. I'm just saying....

You can always just scoop up wort with a sanitized pitcher or measuring cup and pour through a strainer into your fermenter.

Back