Honey Wheat/Ale Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some Hasbeen

Reaction score
Could someone give me a good honey wheat or honey ale extract recipe. The Dude has one on his signature for a B's Honey Wheat that looks good, but I don't have the setup for an all-grain yet. My LHBS didn't have a recipe and I haven't found on while "working" today. Any recipes would be greatly appreciated. Again, an extract recipe. Thanks

HoneyCreamAle.png
3371-IM008028.JPG

This is my only brew to date. It's a Honey Cream Ale. I'll bottle it Sunday, but the sample I took last night has a very subtle honey smell to it, and not much honey taste at this point. I'm hoping that'll come out a bit as it ages.

Kevin

I'm guessing you steep the grains in that recipe for 30-45 mins prior to the boil? Is that the only time you use any honey is what you derive from flavor from the grain?

On a side note, I was under the impression that most Honey Wheat's, etc. weren't flavored with Honey, but had their AC increased with the boiling of the honey and how it reacts with the yeast. I'm probably off with that, but it's a Friday and the brain has been taxed this week.

Sorry, should have added detail. I steeped for 25 minutes at 160ºF, then brought to boil. That's it for honey.
I'm unsure about other beers, but the owner at my LHBS recommended the Gambrinus Honey Malt. It looks like it'll turn out fine. Sorry I can't give you a better idea of what it'll taste like yet.

Kevin

Speaking of honey pale ales (and sorry for the hijack), but what type of hop would you use to dry hop with?

Mine definitely needs some dry hops. I would think flowery, not citrusey/grapefruitey, but that is just me. What do you guys think? Please cite specific examples of what you'd use.

Dude said:
Speaking of honey pale ales (and sorry for the hijack), but what type of hop would you use to dry hop with?

Mine definitely needs some dry hops. I would think flowery, not citrusey/grapefruitey, but that is just me. What do you guys think? Please cite specific examples of what you'd use.

i'd think i go with something more floral and spicy also, but a little citrus will also work well. because i hate wasting hops i'd almost go wth the leftover glacier and cascade from your recipe if you have them. i think simcoe could be nice also. cluster?

Kevin K said:
Sorry, should have added detail. I steeped for 25 minutes at 160ºF, then brought to boil. That's it for honey.
I'm unsure about other beers, but the owner at my LHBS recommended the Gambrinus Honey Malt. It looks like it'll turn out fine. Sorry I can't give you a better idea of what it'll taste like yet.

Kevin

Thanks for the info, Kevin. I plan on brewing this in the next couple weeks or so. I looks great.

No sweat.

See if you can hold off two weeks. I'll give you a review of what it tastes like. :D
I think it should be a very nice beer. Somewhere around 5.6-5.8% ABV.

Mine finished at 1.012, and should have started around 1.055 (botched my first reading with hydrometer, didn't stir wort enough).

I also used a Lallemand Nottingham dry yeast.

EBH Summer Honey Wheat
6 lbs. Liquid Wheat Extract Alexander’s 60% Wheat 40% Barley
.50 lbs. Maris Otter Pale
.25 lbs. Crystal Malt 10°L
.25 lbs. Honey Malt
.50 lbs. Rye Flaked
1.00 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey @ 15 minutes
1 oz. perle 60 min.
.5 oz. Hallertau 1 min.
Safale US-56 dry

on tap now and it is awesome! the orange blossom flavor is amazing at boil and 2 weeks into kegging and has mellowed a lot but still there and tasty. suggested a slice of lemon really balanced nicely - slice or orange ruined the taste. perfect summer brew I don't have OG/FG on hand.

That sounds very nice- I'm working on a simpler Orange Blossom recipe now (it's in primary, getting attacked by my townhouse's Ant Infestation).

Has anyone tried a darker honey? (I'll post separately on this some day soon, I'll try to work out a new recipe.)

Here is my actual recipe I wound up using, modified from the recipe the LHBS gave me: (theirs was just a wheat beer, they advised me on the addition of honey).

------------------------------
A Taste of Hun-y, German Honey-Wheat Beer

Grains: 1/2 lb Wheat Malt

Malt : 7 lb Wheat malt extract

Honey: approx. 3 lbs Orange Blossom

Hops: 1 oz (I think - what does AAU mean?) Hallertau - 60 min
1/4 oz Hallertau (5 min)

Yeast: Wylabs American wheat beer yeast (smack pack)

Steeped grains about 30 mins on the way up to 170 F.

Boiled 2 gallons, with about 4 lbs malt, 1.5 lbs honey.

When flame off, stirred in remaining malt and honey.

Added 2 gallons cold distilled water, stirred, dumped into primary.

Added last gallon cold distilled water, pitched yeast at around 78 F.
------------------------------

So far, it's been bubbling in primary for nearly 6 days. Smells good, anyway. We'll see how it tastes in a few weeks, then.

Back