Moylan's Hopsicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I just had a tasting of Moylan's Hopsickle Imperial Ale. The bottle says "Triple Hoppy" and I'll agree to that. It's got a 9.2% ABV and says that it has Tomahawk, Cascade and Centennial hops. It has a good sweetness to it, which is expected given the gravity, but the hops really come through to balance it nicely. It's not labeled as an IPA or IIPA, especially since they also make a Double IPA that I picked up but haven't tried yet. The Hopsickle is great and if you're a hophead and enjoy IPA's and IIPA's, I suggest that if you can find it, try it. The store that I got it from had only one case, and it was in the back stock room. The guy restocking the shelves saw what I had in my basket, including a Stone Old Guardian Barleywine, and thought I might like a taste. I tried it and asked him for a bottle.

Yes indeed! I am very much one of the "hopheads". And I have had many a brew labelling itself as "the hoplovers beer" or "the hoppiest beer there is". Many of these have been quite good, some have been just mediocre beers with too much hops crammed in. But the hopsickle... man! That is some kind of hopped out right there, and with the maltiness and alchohol to back it up and balance it out. It's not what you want to drink all the time, and if you don't like lots of hops you won't like this beer. But anyone who considers themselves a hops afficionado should make a point to try and find this beer.

I tried a Hop Fusion Ale yesterday made by Weyerbacher. The label says they use 7 kinds of hops in it. It was good but I wasn't really impressed.

eh... weyerbacher rarely impresses me. Ihad sickle on tap and it was a slap in the face and I was like man i love hops but my palate is ruined for the night but i loved it... i was like i dont want to drink this ALL the time but now that its been a few months I wish i could get my hands on a case of that stuff, delicious!

I wish I could get my hands on a few hopsickles, anyone have it in there area wanna trade anything?

I have read a bunch of great reviews about Moylan's, and have tried a few of their beers.

I think our local connection for Moylan's gets old stuff. The Hopsicle I had had an overwhelming malt presence in comparison to the hops. Heavy caramel malt.

I will try to get a fresh bottle!

Back