fermentation kreusen and secondary option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkbob

Reaction score
how necessary is it to remove the brown stuff that sits on top of the foam during fermentation? i am worried about contamination, and have only read in certain places, that i should take that stuff off. what will happen if i let it fall back into the beer?

next, is it ok to leave my beer in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks? i have at this time no option for secondary, and i have read, that the off flavors that may develop as a result of leaving the beer on the trub only do so after 2 weeks or so.

thanks

inkbob said:
how necessary is it to remove the brown stuff that sits on top of the foam during fermentation? i am worried about contamination, and have only read in certain places, that i should take that stuff off. what will happen if i let it fall back into the beer?
You'll have good beer! Some scoop it out, I think most don't.

And if you have no secondary, it's better to leave it in the primary for two weeks than to bottle it too soon. By that time the krausen will be gone and you won't have to worry about scooping it out.

Others with more experience here will give you the why's of the above :)

inkbob said:

next, is it ok to leave my beer in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks? i have at this time no option for secondary, and i have read, that the off flavors that may develop as a result of leaving the beer on the trub only do so after 2 weeks or so.

thanks
I don't believe it's necessary at all to remove the krauzen. IMHO, the few books that still recommend this are woefully outdated in this respect.

Yes, it's fine to leave your beer in the primary for two weeks...in fact, if you aren't going to secondary it, it's really essential to leave it at least that long before bottling, and even 3 or 4 weeks won't hurt anything.

Back