Air in my syphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I was racking from my primary to secondary a few days ago and keps getting air bubbles in my syphon. When I brewed, I used whole leaf hops and didn't strain the wort into the primary. The leaves kept getting stuck in the bottom of the tube, causing the airbubbles. Am I gong to have any problems with my beer? Bad taste, ect.

It only happened a few times, then I just gave up and stopped with what I had. Carboy about 3/4 the way full.

Thanks

You'll be fine, people get stuck siphons all the time and a few puffs of air is not going to oxygenate your beer enough to get cardboardy tastes....

Do you use an auto shiphon? It's really easy to restart if it gets stuck. Also if you are going to use whole leaf hops you should invest in a nylon paint straining bag, the kind with an elastic band around the top. It's reusable and it fits perfectly around the mouth of your bucket (assuming you are using a bucket to ferment in).

how%20to5.jpg

Also if you are siphoning something that you think may stick in your siphon, you can rig up a filter...I've use a piece of hopsack and 2 rubberbands (sanitized of course). Just slip it around the bottom of the racking cane...It helps keep chunks out of your beer.

This won't cause any problems in your beer. Either do as Revvy suggested, or just leave your beer sit longer before racking to give all of the 'stuff' time to settle to the bottom, then siphon on top of it.

If you have air in your tubing and your beer is still flowing, you can give the tubing a pinch where the air bubble is and it should continue along its merry way and out the end of the tube.

Latest posts

Back