Wiring help for Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weremichael

Reaction score
I just purchase a few items for my new brew sculpture and would like some advice on how to wire them all together.

I bought a push button switch from Auber:

and need help on how to safely wire it to my March Pump. I really don't want to kill myself, so I am pleading with the community to help me figure out the wiring of an one gang box to attach to my brew sculpture.

I also purchased a thermometer and probe for my HLT:

If you can design a two gang box for both items, that would be even cooler. I was originally thinking of having the temperature gauge loose so it could be next to me on the couch in my brewhouse, but I think it would make my stand even sweeter if it were wired in a box with the pump.

I appreciate any help y'all can give me.:mug:

I'm assuming sense you want a box for the items that you want to use an outlet for the pump? If that's the case just splice the pushbutton into the black/hot wire of the outlet wires. Then plug in the pump like normal assuming your on 120v. For the temp and probe do the same thing, have power going into the box hook it up and drill another hole for the temp sensor to go through.

I was thinking about removing the plug on the pump and have everything "taken care of in the box." (I have no idea what taken care of would look like).

If I run it the way you guys are talking, would I have a gfci outlet inside the box (with the switch) that the pump would plug into?

I was thinking about removing the plug on the pump and have everything "taken care of in the box." (I have no idea what taken care of would look like).

If I run it the way you guys are talking, would I have a gfci outlet inside the box (with the switch) that the pump would plug into?

You would have the black wire going to the pushbutton, from the pushbutton to the brass screw on the outlet. Leave the neutral wire alone and screw it to the silver screw on the outlet. And the green wire to the green screw. I would probably mount the switch on the front of the box and the outlet on the back of the box(less cord clutter up front). Drill/cut out the hole for the pushbutton and for the outlet use a dremel or jig saw. If you cut off the plug to the pump you lose all versility of moving the pump to a different application. Both the pushbutton and the outlet would be flush mounted.

You would have the black wire going to the pushbutton, from the pushbutton to the brass screw on the outlet. Leave the neutral wire alone and screw it to the silver screw on the outlet. And the green wire to the green screw. I would probably mount the switch on the front of the box and the outlet on the back of the box(less cord clutter up front). Drill/cut out the hole for the pushbutton and for the outlet use a Drexel or jig saw. If you cut off the plug to the pump you lose all versility of moving the pump to a different application.

Good point on preserving versatility. So basically I'll be turning the GFCI outlet (pump) on and off from the push button? I can then just run a hard wired extension cord to provide power to the outlet?

Good point on preserving versatility. So basically I'll be turning the GFCI outlet (pump) on and off from the push button? I can then just run a hard wired extension cord to provide power to the outlet?

Exactly. Also you can break the tab in between the brass screws on the outlet add another pushbutton and control the power of the temp/probe independently from the pump.

Latest posts

Back