St. Augustine area recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Headed with some friends to St Augustine for weekend. Mostly planned to hang out on beach or at the oasis and watch football and drink beer. The oasis is a great place to watch football, but their craft beer selection is limited when it comes to local micros. So, what are the local micros and where is a good place to find them on tap? Any great beer bars with football too?

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I know its past the weekend but here is some info for next time. We use to have a decent micro brewery/taproom, called Mile Marker Brewing. They closed down. Their investors backed out from what i heard. So as far as micro breweries go there is only A1A aleworks, which is more of a nano brewery within a restaurant. Though if you go just a few places down from A1A Aleworks you will find J.P. Henleys. Which has a lot of beers on tap, and a lot of rotating taps. They only serve wine and beer and have decent food selections. Mellow Mushroom has a very good beer selection as well. Gas Resturant has great food and a ever changing tap selection. That is all i can think of now for places with good beer. I will post more if i think of more.

Ended up splitting time between oasis, hurricanes, and salt life. Salt life had best selection in my opinion but all had good variety.

It's still Shocking how many bars and restaurants are way behind the 8 ball when it comes to craft beer. Finally they put an IPA on tap at the clubhouse near my home. First non Budweiser (well technically it's owned by then now) product besides corona lite to hit the taps in the 8 years I've been going there. Other places in town, not st Augustine but where I live are clueless. I'll ask the waitress what craft beers they have and I get a dumbfounded look followed by a regurgitation of every B/M/C product on their list , then a pause, followed by Heineken and corona.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know its past the weekend but here is some info for next time. We use to have a decent micro brewery/taproom, called Mile Marker Brewing. They closed down. Their investors backed out from what i heard. So as far as micro breweries go there is only A1A aleworks, which is more of a nano brewery within a restaurant. Though if you go just a few places down from A1A Aleworks you will find J.P. Henleys. Which has a lot of beers on tap, and a lot of rotating taps. They only serve wine and beer and have decent food selections. Mellow Mushroom has a very good beer selection as well. Gas Resturant has great food and a ever changing tap selection. That is all i can think of now for places with good beer. I will post more if i think of more.

I didn't know Mile Marker closed. That's too bad.

Had a few beers by intuition over the weekend, tried the IPA. I liked it. I think they had the peoples something or other pale ale that I didn't try but had had on a previous trip. Pringlehead used to be available in the area, but I couldn't find it any longer.

Wonder if that mile marker brewery is liquidating any equipment.....

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Mile Marker didn't actually own their equipment. It was loaned to them by one of their investors. So the equipment went back to him. Though I have a good friend who is opening a tap room/nano brewery on the other side of the bridge of lions. Should be open by the end of the year. The name is Old Coast Ales. So hopefully next time you are down that will be open.

Next time head up to Jacksonville! Intuition, Bold City, Aardwolf, Engine 15, Green Room, Zeta, Veterans United, Seven Bridges are all solid breweries (im forgetting some) and then you have Kickbacks and Dhalias Pour House 1 block away from each other they have close to 200 taps between them.

Yes Jacksonville is a great place to brewery hop. Most are within a few minutes of each other.

The whole reason we go to St. Augustine is because of the essentially free stay at the condo.
We collectively pay for the $100 cleaning service but that is peanuts compared to a two night stay at a hotel. Its really a great location as well.
I do appreciate the feedback. Hoping the see wider distro of some of the smaller FL micros to the rest of the state though.

TD

Back