Storing crushed grains (I know, I know)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syvmn

Reaction score
I know this is asked a lot, but I have a substance that (when sealed in a container) will drop humidity to zero. It looks like little light bluish pebbles. Water is VERY attracted to it, so if I put some of this in a tub of crushed grain, will it be bad to pull ALL of the water out of the grain? Im only holding onto the grain until Saturday, so one week. Am I going overboard, should i just store it in the bag I get it in.

I just use the bags that I get at my LHBS and tie them off. Is this good enough, or should i take more precautions. I always just brew right away when I get home but not this time.

personally - for a week i would just use ziplock bags.
for the first year before i got a mill i kept 55lbs of crushed malt just in the bag it came in.
it was used within 6 months and i didn't notice any deterioration in my later brews

i had my last grain bill sitting on the counter in paper sacks for like 4 days before i brewed lol i dont think it had much of an affect on the brew ill report back once its finished :)

My last batch was in a paper sack taped up for two weeks (one in a UPS truck and one at my house). I sealed up in a plastic bag when I got it. My efficiency was the same as it always is and the beer tastes great (actually one of my best). I have used crushed grain that was sealed in plastic (not vacuum) at up to 6 weeks.

I think it will be fine.

rod said:
personally - for a week i would just use ziplock bags.
for the first year before i got a mill i kept 55lbs of crushed malt just in the bag it came in.
it was used within 6 months and i didn't notice any deterioration in my later brews

You say you kept it for 6 months. I've got a question though. I have some crushed Black Patent Malt which is 12 months old and it unlikely to be used up until its 18 to 20 months old. I have it in a ziplock bag and then inside a tupperware container (crappy tupperware though, doesn't have a good seal). I keep my crushed grain at room temp.

Can I keep using this stuff. I know its only a 1.60 of grain, but I'd rather not throw out useful beer ingredients.

All of my Base malts are stored in the Bags that they come in. I simply Zip Tie then off in between each use. For your situation, You'll be fine just letting them sit in the bags from your LHBS.

Back