How can I crush my grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
I ordered my grains for my next beer from Morebeer.com. I didnt have them mill them for me by accident. I thought they milled them unless you requested otherwise, and found out that its vice versa.

Soooo, is there a way I can grind them up myself, or do I need to head over to my lhbs?

I was thinking I might be able to crush them with a rolling pin.

Do yourself a huge favor and just take them to the lhbs, if they crush that is.

Unless you only need to crush a lb. or so, then a rolling pin works fine in a pinch. It would still be a pita though. I did use my cuisinart for a whole AG once, turned out fine but the efficiency was a little low.

Yea the easiest way to get them crushed is to take them to the lhbs, unless it's too far away/very inconvenient. a rolling pin on some concrete or very sturdy cutting board will work though. Be prepared to have aching arms and legs though if you go that route.

Double bag the grains in heavy duty ziplock bags and smack them with a hammer. You don't have a great deal of control, but you will end up with crushed grains :cross:

I didn't have a mill until last week. I didn't like having my grains crushed in advance as I never knew exactly when I would be brewing. I ended up just buddying up with a couple people from a local homebrew club and used theirs. All depends on what is closer. LHBS or buddies.

P.S. I tried the rolling pin deal once.. you're better off driving an hour to find a mill to borrow IMHO.

Back