Group buy in Chicago?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmason1623

Reaction score
Are there any groups in the Chicago area doing collective buying? I would like to get in on one if there is. Or maybe we can start our own if there isn't. Thanks.

Let me call a distributor on Monday and get some information on what would be a minimum order, pricing, delivery options, etc. I'll report back next week as time allows.

I've been pretty busy at work this week. I'm hoping to call and inquire on bulk pricing before the end of the week. I have a shop and fork lift where I can easily receive, unload and store (briefly) the grain. I'm located in the city approximately 1800N and 4800W. Given my location, let me know who would still be interested in a group buy. I'll report back a soon as I get pricing info.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Home Brew Talk

That location is fine for me. I'd be in for a sack of 2 row and sack of marris otter. Possibly two of each depending on cost.

Depending on timing, I might be interested. I get pretty good priced from my LHBS (Perfect Brewing), so I am not desperate, but I could definitely split a few sacks of UK and Belgian/German crystal and a few UK, US, or German base malts. I go through quite a bit but I just stocked up for the immediate brew queue.

OK. I had a chance to call The Country Malt Group today. I was informed that there is a 10 bag minimum (55 Lbs/each) to order; with a 42 bag per pallet maximum. We can mix and match sacks of grain as well. If we have it delivered o my place in the city there would be a pallet charge of $65 plus 20% of the total order for fuel surcharge. Depending on the amount we can get together, I'd be willing to pick it up free of charge. Send me an email if you're interested in getting in on this group purchase so I can send you a link with their pricing. Then let me know what you would be ordering. For payment, I'm thinking paypal to my account, then credit card payment from me to Country Malt (I'll share the payment verification info so that everyone knows what's going on). I believe paypal charges a certain percentage fee (3% ?) for transactions. Can someone confirm this? Anyway, when the time comes to actually get a quote we can figure out the total charges with taxes and paypal fees included. I'll post a spreadsheet or something. Sorry for the rambling post.

Bill

I've been pretty busy at work this week. I'm hoping to call and inquire on bulk pricing before the end of the week. I have a shop and fork lift where I can easily receive, unload and store (briefly) the grain. I'm located in the city approximately 1800N and 4800W. Given my location, let me know who would still be interested in a group buy. I'll report back a soon as I get pricing info.

Dude! That location is super close to me. I'd definitely be in for a group buy. Keep me posted!!!! :rockin:

[Edit: PM Sent]

Mods, if this isn't acceptable please forgive my transgression but it's best if you email me at bmason1623 AT gmail DOT com

thank you.

EDIT: I modified the email address at the great suggestion of 1234. Thanks!

You might want to remove your e-mail address! That is if you would like to avoid a bunch of spam mail. I might suggest that ACE handle the PM's, if he is willing to. He gets like 25,000 PM's.

Ace, if you don't mind handling the PMs that would be great. You can email me what people want and I'll update it on a google docs spreadsheet. Include the malt company and/or item id in your desired purchase. Also, we're not just limited to grain. We can combine grain with extracts, hops, yeast, etc.

Also, everyone please include your name, HBT user name and the email address associated with your paypal account. The spreadsheet will only display HBT user name for everyone's personal info. Thanks

Also, I don't think I was clear. For now just send me your desired purchase. Once we can get enough for a pallet of 42 sacks, I will submit a RFQ which will have all of the pallet and fuel surcharges so people can submit the proper payment amount.

Actually, send your request to Ace since he volunteered. Thanks, Ace!

There is a price list. I will get it to Ace once I get back on front of my desktop later on today.

I will send Ace a copy of the one I have. Bmason has my phone number and is welcome to call me as the price of the bags changes every month or so. Sometimes up sometimes down. Buy now and save because the price is going to go up!

1234 said:
I will send Ace a copy of the one I have. Bmason has my phone number and is welcome to call me as the price of the bags changes every month or so. Sometimes up sometimes down. Buy now and save because the price is going to go up!

1234, if I have any questions I will call you. Thanks.

sudsmcgee said:
Im interested in a bag of two row if the price is right. I get them locally for 30 bucks.

PM Ace_Club for the price sheet and see if it's worth it for you.

Just to clarify, the fuel surcharge is based on the pallet rate...basically an extra $13 for each pallet delivered.

Just to clarify, the fuel surcharge is based on the pallet rate...basically an extra $13 for each pallet delivered.

Thank you for that. When the girl told me 20% fuel surcharge I thought she meant on the order. That would be very pricey wouldn't it? WTH was I thinking? I'm going to email you shortly. Thank you for volunteering to help.

Have sent out a couple PMs with the pricing document link. Still haven't heard back from anyone regarding orders...

I'll just throw this out there to get the ball rolling, but I'm looking at 2 bags of Canada Malting's base malt (1 2-row, 1 pale).

i'm trying to figure out logistics, but i would be interested in 1 TF MO and 1 briess 2-row

speaking of, what would be the timeframe?

I don't know if bmason decided on a time frame or not...

The ideal time frame is however long it would take to get a load of 42 pallets. I'm thinking 42 because that is the maximum per pallet and would spread the cost of shipping/fuel surcharges across the most bags allowed per shipment. But I think I may be overly optimistic in ordering that many pallets. I'm open to suggestions.

Okey dokey. I sent Ace the link for the spreadsheet that keeps tracks of everyone's requests. Once he approves it, he can email me people's addresses so I can invite them to view it; unless everyone is OK with making it public. We have 10 bags so far. The more bags we order the less the shipping/fuel surcharge per bag. Now's the time to get in if you want to save money on grain or anything else.

EDIT: We're not just limited to grain.

I'll take a sack of briess 2 row, also if anyone is interested in a half sack of wheat let I'll take the other half.

Latest posts

Back