1st receipe - weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrysarms

Reaction score
Alright so I want to make the jump from kits to creating my own receipes. I am just playing around with different ingredients as I would like to shoot for a higher alcohol weizenbock. I threw a prelim together - let me know what you guys think..
Basically its a slow day at work and I am throwing around some ideas...

5 Gal yield

Malt

65% 8LB Muntons Wheat DME
24% 3LB Munich Liquid Malt Extract
8% 1LB Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
2% 4oz Chocolate Malt

HOPS

60 mins 1.5 Hallertau Hersbruck
5 mins 1.0 Tettnang
1 min 1.0 Tettnang

White Labs Hefeweizen Ale (WLP300)

Alcohol
8.9% ABV / 7% ABW
Calories 293 per 12 oz.

Whoa, chocolate malt in a weizen? Not my first choice. I'd use Special B instead of Chocolate and C120 instead of C20.

Edit: Re-read Designing Great Beers chapter on weizens. It recommends Munich, crystal, chocolate or Special B for color. So Chocolate isn't as weird as I thought it was.

im not sure if you can actually make a real weizenbock (by definition at least) with extracts. you'd just have too much 2-row/pils since wheat dme is only 60% wheat and munich LME is only 50% munich. also, that much finishing hops is not common in a weizenbock. I think it looks good, but just not to style. more of a hoppy dunkelweizen

67ish F, higher if you want more esters, lower if you want less

If you actually want to make a weizenbock, bocks are lagers. So 45-55 degrees. If you ferment higher with an ale yeast, you're making something closer to a dunkelweizen.

Thanks to everyone on the comments. Generally, what hop additions would you go for with a beer of this magnitude? I dont want it to have the overly aggressive hop flavor but I want it to be a clean balanced one.

Thanks to everyone on the comments. Generally, what hop additions would you go for with a beer of this magnitude? I dont want it to have the overly aggressive hop flavor but I want it to be a clean balanced one.

typically just bittering adds. hop aroma is atypical of weizenbocks, you're looking for strong malt and yeast characteristics

Back