Extract???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffManMississippi

Reaction score
What is extract , and what part does it play in the beer making process and what is its alternative? in fact if i could get more of a step by step guide to home brewing with plastics i think that would sufficiently answer most of my questions.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the plastics.

Extract is basically the malt that all grain brewers use, but it's dried and already converted, so there's no need to mash. It's alternative is going all-grain.

the only reason i mentioned plastic is that i am going to do several batches and i prefer plastics over glass right now as well, i read that plastics breath alittle better than glass basiclly glass is 4 wine and plastic is 4 beer from my understanding

No problem. You can safely use your plastic bucket for fermenting.

Most of us use glass (carboy) as a secondary fermenter.

This is a misnomer because all fermentation should be complete prior to racking to a carboy and no real fermentation is going on.

In this case the carboy is used as a clearing tank.

This technique is properly called several things, but mostly "two stage" brewing. :mug:

the only reason i mentioned plastic is that i am going to do several batches and i prefer plastics over glass right now as well, i read that plastics breath alittle better than glass basiclly glass is 4 wine and plastic is 4 beer from my understanding

I use glass for long term aging, beer or wine, and plastic for short term (primary) fermenting. Wine is fine in plastic primaries, and it's a very common way to do it. I would never say that "glass is for wine and plastic is for beer". That's not true, and is way too broad a generalization.

Many people use only glass, and many use only plastic. It is a matter of personal preference.

I use plastic exclusively for fermentation and condition/age in cornie kegs. They are cheaper, more secure, stronger and your brew cannot be light-struck or have the airlock dry out.

No problem. You can safely use your plastic bucket for fermenting.

Most of us use glass (carboy) as a secondary fermenter.

This is a misnomer because all fermentation should be complete prior to racking to a carboy and no real fermentation is going on.

In this case the carboy is used as a clearing tank.

This technique is properly called several things, but mostly "two stage" brewing. :mug:

this is so true and very good advice i have read through my ignorance and yes glass is best for secondary or racking over to plastic bucket lids are questionable at best with a seal and well a glass carboy lol there is no question lol so thx guys i thank you all for your time my first brew will be amazing no matter what because of everyones help

Latest posts

Back