Where to get ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driftwood

Reaction score
Hey all,

The biggest HBS in my area doesn't seem to carry a very wide selection of grains. There hops selection is great, but few grains. I'd like to buy bulk, but the only thing they have in sacks is one type of pale malt.

So I wondered if anyone has this same problem and has found a good source of malts and adjuncts. Maybe a farmer's market or something?

Any suggestions?

I just use austinhomebrewsupply.com. They've got a big selection of grains and if your order is $50 or more, shipping is free. They'll also mill for you if you don't want to do that yourself.

Take a look at North Country Malt (www.northcountrymalt.com) . Great selection of pellet hops too. If you can organize a bulk buy with your club, you can save some serious $$. Our club organized an entire pallet shipment once (about 1700 lbs) and ended up paying about 50 cents per pound including shipping.

Prosit!

I've been looking at North Country Malt for some time now. I was hoping to get some Texas AGer's interested in doing a bulk buy. $23 + shipping for 55lbs sounds like a deal to me.

also, if there is a local microbrew or brew pub near you, check with them. i know my local HBS piggy-backs their grain orders w/ the microbrewery. so, they get a good variety of fresh grains on a regular basis. plus my HBS stays pretty busy, so there's good turn-over.

Sudster, my HBC is looking at North County Malt too to bulk order. Right now they use Austin HBS or DeFalco's. i would, i just don't have room to store bulk grains right now. sorry i can't help ya on that one.

Well, right now I have 3 maybe 4 guys ready to do the deal. Deroux's , would you give my email to your local HBS and let them know we would be glad to contribute. Austin HBS bought out the only grain wholesaler in Texas and when St. Pats went commercial only it left Austin HBS in a nice bird nest on the ground. I actually talked to the owner of NCM and he also suggested piggy-backing with a local Pub. He said he didn't have the Texas market and only has 1 Pub in Texas that he sells to. Just so happens its in Austin. I felt a little uncomfortable going to the Head brewer and asking him if I could piggy-back with him. Though NCM did give me his name.

sure not a problem at all! [email protected], www.defalcos.com, (800) 216-BREW. they piggy-back w/ Saint Arnold's Brewing Co. in Houston(www.saintarnold.com). Not sure who St. A's uses? they use a lot of Belgian and German malts. ask for Scott Birdwell (owner) or Landry at DeFalco's. more than likely, Scott will answer if you e-mail.
let me know what turns up and good luck!

Back