A new approach...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanagra

Reaction score
Process: Using a Cornelius Keg as a primary (5 Gallon Batches)

After the boil and cooling, transfer the wort into a cornelius keg, aerate, pitch the yeast, then SEAL via a small amount of CO2 (oxygen preferred). In 2-3 weeks, cold crash the keg, then rack the beer off of the trub and yeast into another keg for serving (your time tables will vary depending on your wort's particular style, OG, yeast, ect...).

Obviously, the first thing that comes to mind is 'keg bomb' as the amount of CO2 produced would have nowhere to go except back into solution - anyone without a pressure release valve need not attempt this method.

I think that a unique business idea would be to mass-produce a 'variable pressure relief valve' for corny kegs that opens at different pressures so that you can set it depending on your ambient temperature - force carbinating your beer to the exact volume you want while fermentation takes place. Alternately, you could just keep a handful of pressure release valves on hand that open at different pressures for this purpose.

Using this 'closed fermentation system' would result in fermenting your wort WHILE at the same time naturally carbonating your beer for three weeks at the exact volume you intend to without the use of corn starch or forced CO2.

It occured to me the other day that this method has never really been explored to my knowledge. I would like some input as to what OTHER obvious problems (if any) would arise using this method should such a valve exist.

Yup. You'll find that mostly everything you can ever think of has been thought of 100 times before. That's not to say you should stop thinking, but probably following it up with a bit of googling would be a great combo. :mug::D

Spunding valve....

Also, you'd seriously gum up the works trying to ferment 5 gallons with only .5 gallons of headspace.

Back