what to brew? 50lbs wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acyl

Reaction score
Hi. My brewer friend just hooked me up with a 50# bag of wheat and 55# of marris otter. Both of these are precrushed, so he reccomended I brew a lot of beer in a little amount of time. So..... What should I brew?

These are going to be my base malts, I dont mind buying some specialty grains.

Maybe this.

(It's a beer)https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f74/poobahs-wheat-wine-117610/

How about some simple SMASH (Single Malt Single Hop) beers.....

There are some good recipes using Marris Otter and Amarillo for example.

With those two types of grain, you can brew just about anything.

You can probably bag the grain, freeze it and use it for quite a long time.

mmmm.. sounds awesome. i dont know how many carboys you have, but if you've got 25+ gallons of space free, i'd say mike a portion hefeweisse, a portion belgian wit, a nice ESB and make a strong golden barley wine out of a large portion of the maris otter

just my fantasy anyway....

Brew some Three Floyd's Gumballhead!

All Grain Recipe - Gumball Head Wheat ::: 1.052/1.012 (6 Gal)
Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)

6 lbs. - Wheat Malt
5 lbs. - 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Caravienne Malt
Hop Schedule (27 IBU)

1/4 oz. - Amarillo - First Wort Hop
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - 15 min.
1.25 oz. - Amarillo - 5 min.
1 oz. - Amarillo - 1 min.
1.5 oz. - Amarillo - Dry Hop
Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 68° to 70°

Hi everybody. Thanks for the tips. I have 27 gallons of carboy space, three 5 gallon ale pails, three cornies and 1 half barrel that can all be used for fermentors. Plus I have A LOT of free time. So, I'm ready to brew a lot of beer this month. I think I'm going to declare March as "drinking month" :)

Not that I'm saying a "drinking month" is a bad idea, but you can plan it right by making different kinds of beer, so that you don't have to drink everything at the same time. Nobody likes an old hefe. So make some barleywines other impys. Or plan it so everything IS ready at the same time and have your own beer festival.

Back