when to add booster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
I have packs of booster from mr beer kit, im going to add them to my 5 gal beer kits to boost the abv and have a little more feel to the beer.
my next beer is going to be a hogarden clone kit from austin brew supply, my question is when do i add the booster? before the boil? will the booster effect the boil or boil time at all?
i would hate to ruin a 50 dollar kit.
thanks

The booster is probably just plain ol (corn) sugar. Add it when the wort is hot so it will dissolve. Probably best to add it at the end of the boil to avoid possible caramelizing.

Add it in the boil, it will up your final ABV but won't give you more mouthfeel. Plain old sugar will actually "thin out" the beer a bit.

If you want to add more ABV to the beer without thinning it out add an extra pound of DME. That will get you around one more % in ABV when all's said and done. I don't recommend adding more than that because you will throw off the balance of the beer.

Oh, and just use the "booster" for priming sugar when you need it for a recipe. It'll work just fine for that.

the booster is a mix of corn sugar and maltotriose, so im hoping that it would give more mouth feel, here is the mixure...
NET WEIGHT 13 OUNCES (355 GRAMS) per package.

Use Booster™ to add alcohol and body to any recipe without the dry, cidery taste that comes from using sugar. Each pouch of Booster™ adds about 1.3% abv per batch.

Booster™ is made from corn syrup solids, and is ideally suited for use as a brewing adjunct. It provides a full and balanced range of both fermentable and unfermentable sugars that is designed to mimic the carbohydrate profile of all-malt wort, consisting of 8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins.

the reason i am using it at all is cause i ordered 15 packs and i dont want to waste it

If that's the case then go ahead and throw it in to the boil! ;0) I'm assuming that these are for a 2.5gal Mr. Beer batch? In that case you will want to double em up.

I'd put it in at flameout, like a late extract addition. That way you don't throw off your IBU's.

Back