thanksgiving beer recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gremlin

Reaction score
so what if i only have 5 weeks or so until turkey day...

any ideas? nothing stupid and weird with turkey or cranberries or yams in it. something nice and simple that my relatives will want to drink, but reminiscent of the season. maybe a bit spicy? not too much alcohol, the old folks are lightweights. that's why i have whisky for us young uns.

hurry up, i have to brew this SOON! the simpler and quicker the better. even a 2.5 gallon batch would be fine, 24 bottles should be good for 8 or 9 people.

is it possible?! i know, i should have made it way earlier. oh well.

barrett

A lot of people like pumpkin ales for the season, but they typically require an aging period longer than you have. I'd be inclined to go with a nice, mild nut brown ale. Some people have been talking about Magic Hat Jinx in another thread which is basically a mild scottish ale with a little peated malt.

At this point in time if I HAD to make a Pumpkin-style brew I would follow any pumpkin recipe and use only 1/4 of all spices mentioned.

That should give it just enough back flavor without the overpowering clove/cinnamon bite...or make an amber.

Good luck.:D

I brewed yesterday for the very same reason...people coming over for thanksgiving.

I brewed Papazian's Elbro Nerkte from The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. It's a brown ale that he says is ready in 2 weeks. I figure it will be fine by thanksgiving. I like brown ales so if the folks coming over don't like them, then there's more for me. :mug:

All About Beer has a great-sounding Thanksgiving Beer recipe. They call it an "Abbeyfest", which is, you guessed it, an Octoberfest-Abbey hybrid.

Back