Irish Red Ale Irish Red (1st place HBT comp)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurrection! !!!!

Okay maybe not too bad but hey....

Thinking of taking a red ale recipe like this and tossing some wood into the secondary. Specifically the roots and wood from a bottle of mamajuana acquired in the Dominican Republic 😊

Going to leave it to soak in the carboy for a couple months minimum.

Thoughts?

Shawn, 12 days is plenty for primary fermentation on this recipe. You should be good by St. Patrick's day (if that's your goal), assuming you fine or cold crash and do a quick force carb. The first week or two will be cloudy/hazy pints, but this does clear nicely for me after about two weeks in the keg. Flavor seems to stay pretty consistent for me, though I've never had a keg of this last longer than a month, so I can't say what more time will bring to the table.

I wouldn't rush it. It's better after a few weeks in the keg, IMHO.

Go buy some local craft beers for St. Patty's. Keep the good stuff for when it gets good. I say this after having rushed way too many beers. Seems like I'm always behind when I need a batch for an event/holiday. I'm making a calendar now. Reminders for when I must get it brewed so it can be best when needed.

I'm making a calendar now. Reminders for when I must get it brewed so it can be best when needed.

Good plan. :) I created a spreadsheet years ago, and I use it to plan my brewing to have beers ready in their prime for events and competitions. Initially, I also used it to plan allocations of fermenters and kegs, but I have enough of both now that I never find myself in a situation where I need a carboy/keg, but they're all full.

You guys should heed the words of the OP and save this beer for a while. I know first hand that this beer goes from great to phenomenal at the 4 month mark.

I second this! Just last week I tried a bottle that had been sitting for about 7-8 months. I shared it with my wife and we both were amazed at the difference. One of my all time favorites for sure! Worth waiting for!

This stuff is a trap, I have to brew 20 gal of it to get any to last till 3 months. So be warned it just don't last that long, something about it evaporates in the keg, as I know I didn't sample that much. By the way if you add .5 to .75 oz of real vanilla extract it makes an amazing change in this beer.

Picked up ingredients for this today, began yeast starter on Tuesday, smack pack was from August so starter is well warranted.

LHBS only has roasted barley that was 350L so hopefully there won't be a big taste difference, I believe it was Briess. Otherwise I'll be sticking to the OP, 75 min mash at 150 and 75 min boil. Should give me a solid 3 months to ferment, bulk age a little bit, bottle and then chill in the fridge for a few weeks before March is here.

Brew day went ok, ended up adding .25oz of EKG at 75 along with the Fuggles to make up for the difference in AA's the the Fuggles I got had, didn't realize the difference till after I bought everything.

Mash temp ended up being 152 to start and I got it under 150 after about 10 min so I don't think that'll make a big difference.

Had airlock activity about 10 hours after pitching, going to wait around 3 weeks to check on it and then go from there, should be ready before St. Patty's day. Hoping to squeeze an Irish Stout in before then too :)

I cheated and took a quick peak since after 4 days all airlock activity stopped, which seemed a little odd to me. First thing I noticed is that mine is a lot lighter than the pics others have posted, but proteins and yeast were far from settled so I'm pretty sure that made it look lighter than it will end up. Second thing, I figured while I was peaking I'd pull a quick hydro sample... 1272 is apparently a very fast fermenter. Already down to 1.012 which is right around where it was estimated to finish, my OG was 1.052 so if it sticks it'll end at 5.25% ABV.

Taste wise, and I'm not assuming it will stay like this, was malty/grainy, not much caramel and no real hop flavor. As I said this was only 4 days after fermentation so I know the yeast have some cleanup to do, yeast and trub need to settle still. I didn't really get any harsh roast flavor though, so i'm hoping after things settle that some roast comes through a little more.

Have to say this is one of the best beers I have made, a few others have agreed that this is very solid. Mine ended up staying at 1.012 and may come across a little "sweet" for the style but it carries a dry finish. It goes down exceptionally quick and smooth, friend of mine finished a glass in 5 minutes, didn't even realize he was close to finishing it. Then asked what the ABV was, I make more 7.5%+ beers than i do low ABV so I think he was expected something stronger than 5%.

I bottled after 25 days, let it carb for 7 days and through a 6 pack in the fridge for 3 days for the Superbowl.

It still had a very slight haze to it, likely due to being a little young still, but otherwise clear and nice red hue to it, i'll try to get a pic in the next day or two.

Not much in the way of hop aroma, maybe a touch of earthiness, otherwise a very inviting caramel smell and maybe a little toast.

Taste is great, I would say the caramel malt shines more than anything else. I have been seeking something like this since i started brewing 4 years ago. I don't get much roast in the finish, this might be the only thing I would change is to add a touch more roasted barley next time, I did however use 350L and not 500L so maybe that's causing the lack of it coming through more.

Smithicks has nothing on this, if you like that, this will blow you away.

Drinkability is dangerous, these could flow like water if you're not careful. At 5% a few won't hurt you.

Exceptional recipe, this will definitely be made again!!!

Brewed this a few weeks ago. I ended up doing 12 days on the primary (in a keg), close transferred to a secondary keg and let it sit for 12 days, cold crashed for 2 days, and then carbed up.

This was my first all grain brew I've ever made. I am extremely pleased with how great this tastes! I skimped a little on the roasted barley to try to keep the color a little less dark, and I am now wishing I hadn't. It's still dark, and I wish there was more roasted flavor, so I would not recommend doing that. Much of what @bolus14 said I concur with.

Thanks for the recipe!

Curious as to why you secondary for 12 days? Seems to be a practice that is waning. How do you see it benefitting your beer?
Mostly cause I wasn't in a hurry to drink this. I wanted to follow OP's guidelines and see what happened. No regerts.

After drinking my fair share and fair feedback by coworkers (7 gal is gone by this point), I will recant what I said earlier - there is plenty of roasted flavor here. No haze after the first two pours out of the keg. Delicious. Will be on a regular rotation for me. Thanks to OP for sharing!

for my easy drinking, swill like I don't have to work tomorrow even though I do, beer.

Heh heh heh. I call them "Mondays"

You guys should heed the words of the OP and save this beer for a while. I know first hand that this beer goes from great to phenomenal at the 4 month mark.

I second this! Just last week I tried a bottle that had been sitting for about 7-8 months. I shared it with my wife and we both were amazed at the difference. One of my all time favorites for sure! Worth waiting for!

I did Jamil's red ale from BYO and can confirm that the red ales need time. Speaking of, just did a recipe comparison. Seems Jamil uses a higher percentage of base malt and only a 60 min hop addition but otherwise they are pretty similar. Gonna stick this on the To Brew List to compare to Jamil's. Will report back in 4 months!

Great Recipe and thanks for sharing!!!
Made 10 gallons using 3.8% 300 SRM roasted barley. Really dig the color, the roasted flavor is mild and balanced. Thought 4% roasted barley would be too much but it's not. I had forgotten how good Vienna malt is. Makes a dry beer taste sweet and full with a wonderful malty nose. I used the hop bill from the original post.
1.051-013
IMG_20190702_183111749_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20190524_141125555.jpeg
IMG_20190524_141619202_HDR.jpeg

I just used safeale 05. Would have prefered to use London liquid ale yeast. Hard to get good liquid yeasts in Hawaii. Shipping is high.

Update. Beer is Fab after 14 weeks of aging as I just tapped second keg. Even better now. A guzzler type beer for those that like darker beers. Smooth and creamy and a beautiful color.

I'm missing these:
  • 4# Vienna (24%)
  • 12oz British Roasted Barley 500L (4%)
  • 6oz Crystal 120L (2%)
  • 2oz 4.5% AA Fuggles (75 min)
  • 1oz 5.0% AA Goldings (15 min)
But I have these:
  • Biscuit Malt
  • 60L Crystal
  • Special-B
  • Munich
  • Melanoidon
  • British Roasted Barley 710L
  • Chocolate Malt 250L
  • Tettnang
  • Saaz
  • Cascade
  • Hallertauer Blanc

What I'm thinking is Biscuit for Vienna at 2%, Special-B for the Crystal and only 2% of the darker barley. I'm going to use Kveik Voss (approx 78.5% attenuation) and ferment at 21C to make it lager like.

I'm stumped on the hops though... any suggestions (for the malts too)?

Turned out well, bout 2 weeks in the fridge kegged, colour wise it’s quite dark and a bit more roasty than a typical red id be use to. It’s a nice beer and will Defo brew again
B0446F3E-711A-4032-908E-6C347F4248FA.jpeg

Nice. I brewed this and yeah it was a bit dark so batch 2 i'm gonna cut the roasted barley back to give it a 16SRM instead of 20. See if that helps. Tastes great though!

Minha casa Irish Red Ale. É melhor depois de 4 meses de envelhecimento, então eu preparo lotes de 10 galões e preparo novamente quando o primeiro barril chuta. A chave para este estilo é o malte avançado, mas com um final torrado e seco. O sabor do lúpulo é quase imperceptível e não há aroma de lúpulo. Se você puder lager, melhor ainda, use um fermento lager limpo (por exemplo, WLP840, WLP833). Eu só faço cervejas, então eu lanço Wyeast 1272 e fermento na extremidade inferior da faixa para suprimir a produção de éster. A Wyeast 1272 American Ale II é uma levedura ale agradável e limpa que acentua o caráter do malte. WLP051 é um substituto exato para esta levedura (é a cepa Anchor Liberty). Se você usar fermento seco, Nottingham ou US-05 funcionará bem para este estilo, mas se usar o seco, recomendo aumentar a temperatura do mosto para 152 * F.

Este estilo deve ser cristalino no vidro e brilhar vermelho rubi quando exposto a uma luz. Se você engarrafar, recomendo duas semanas secundárias, seguidas de colocar um pouco de fermento inglês como meio pacote de S-04 no balde de engarrafamento para que a cerveja termine bem e clara na garrafa.

Conta de malte para 10 galões:

12# Maris Otter (70%)
4# Viena (24%)
12 onças cevada torrada britânica 500L (4%)
6oz Cristal 120L (2%)

Mash 150 * F por 75 min.

Hop Bill para 10 galões:

2 onças 4,5% AA Fuggles (75 min)
1 oz 5,0% AA Goldings (15 min)

Versão do extrato (para 5 galões):

4# DME Leve
2# Munique LME
5 onças de cevada torrada, em infusão por 20 min a 155*F
2,5 oz C120L, em infusão 20 min @155*F
Minha casa Irish Red Ale. É melhor depois de 4 meses de envelhecimento, então eu preparo lotes de 10 galões e preparo novamente quando o primeiro barril chuta. A chave para este estilo é o malte avançado, mas com um final torrado e seco. O sabor do lúpulo é quase imperceptível e não há aroma de lúpulo. Se você puder lager, melhor ainda, use um fermento lager limpo (por exemplo, WLP840, WLP833). Eu só faço cervejas, então eu lanço Wyeast 1272 e fermento na extremidade inferior da faixa para suprimir a produção de éster. A Wyeast 1272 American Ale II é uma levedura ale agradável e limpa que acentua o caráter do malte. WLP051 é um substituto exato para esta levedura (é a cepa Anchor Liberty). Se você usar fermento seco, Nottingham ou US-05 funcionará bem para este estilo, mas se usar o seco, recomendo aumentar a temperatura do mosto para 152 * F.

Este estilo deve ser cristalino no vidro e brilhar vermelho rubi quando exposto a uma luz. Se você engarrafar, recomendo duas semanas secundárias, seguidas de colocar um pouco de fermento inglês como meio pacote de S-04 no balde de engarrafamento para que a cerveja termine bem e clara na garrafa.

12# Maris Otter (70%)
4# Viena (24%)
6oz Cristal 120L (2%)

Mash 150 * F por 75 min.

Hop Bill para 10 galões:

4# DME Leve
2# Munique LME

12# Maris Otter (70%)
4# Viena (24%)
6oz Cristal 120L (2%)

Mash 150 * F por 75 min.

Hop Bill para 10 galões:

4# DME Leve
2# Munique LME
Bom dia... Achei muito interessante sua receita.. o que é SRM/EBC?

12# Maris Otter (70%)
4# Viena (24%)
6oz Cristal 120L (2%)

Mash 150 * F por 75 min.

Hop Bill para 10 galões:

4# DME Leve
2# Munique LME
Which SRM ...EBC ?

Back