Airlock backflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lthursdayl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I started my first batch of hard cider last night(first time brewing anything). This morning when I woke up the airlock seemed a little low, so I tried added a little water to the lock. When I did that about three drops of water were sucked into the carboy. What I had in the airlock originally was sanitized water. What I am wondering will this ruin my batch? How will I know if it had gone bad? Thanks for any help.

Just to clarify. No it will not effect the batch. And if it does effect the batch it will taste bad? Thanks.

RDWHAHB....more than likely you are fine. I have had water drop back into the fermenter that was straight tap water and they turned out great!

I use vodka in my airlocks. Nothing will grow in there, and if I get any backing up into my brew, it won't hurt it and will only add a little abv.

I dropped one of those kitchen probe thermometer units into 5 gallons of chilled wort and reached in with my filthy hand to fish it out. No problems whatsoever!

If the ambient in the room where you put the fermenter is lower than the wort inside, as the temperature inside the fermenter falls it's going to pull air in through the airlock. Boyle's Law in action, or some such things as that. If you're worried about it, just use vodka or something. I use Star San, and just don't worry about it. A few milliliters of Star San solution sucked back into the fermenter isn't going to hurt anything. If you're still worried, buy the S-type airlock- if it's filled properly, it won't suck any liquid back in anyway. I use both types of airlocks......I guess I just don't see it as much of an issue.

Back