Grape-Fruit/Orange beer/wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewster2256

Reaction score
My brother and I have become brew-crazy as of late. We've made two decent IPA's, one of which I fortified by freezing and removing the ice (wow). Our new project is to make use of the abundance of grape fruit and orange trees which we have access to, and create a brew made primarily of oranges/grape fruits.
My main concern is the acidity of such a brew, due to the high concentration of citric acid. So allow me to pick your brains and experience. What problems will we encounter? Will the low pH stun the fermentation and if so, what alkaline solution shall I use? The project is not completely defined so any amount of input would be appreciated.

From what I've gathered, fermented citrus juices taste pretty disgusting.

I think you would be better off using the fresh zest from the fruits in a recipe. Maybe some type of witbier with fresh grapefruit and orange zest?

I think you would be better off using the fresh zest from the fruits in a recipe. Maybe some type of witbier with fresh grapefruit and orange zest?

+2

(space)

yep. fermented citrus juice smells/tastes a bit like vomit

Back