quickest grain to glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyWalker

Reaction score
i currently am starting AG batches and i am more concerned with perfecting the process more than anything.. what are the "best" beers that go from glass to grain the quickest? i know that letting it condition longer will make a "better" beer, but i really want to perfect my brewing techniques... in a perfect world i would just have multiple batches fermenting at all times, but i have very limited room (2 carboys max)

i am currently bottling my beers, but kegging will be an option soon

The fastist I know about is the centennial blond. 4 days in primery and 5 days in secondary. I just keged it but I did not tast it.

I think of wheat based brews as being tasty very quickly. In addition, IPA's taste good when young. All the tasty hop oils are strongest, and haven't faded yet.

I'd avoid dark beers, or those with strong flavors or spices. Those really need the extra aging to mellow or blend together. e.g. a Christmas spice ale, or licorice stout.

You could also brew smaller batches, if your goal is to have more chances to tweek your process, and not have so much beer around. I keep a 3-gal fermenter around for all my 'experimental batches'... :)

Good luck,
--LexusChris

My basic pale ales/amber ales seem to be ready pretty quickly as well. Been drinking them in two weeks or less when i first had no pipeline.

Low-to-mid IBU. Low-to-mid gravity. Fast yeast. Big starter. That's all there is to it. When my pipeline dries up, I go grain to glass on my pils and saaz smash in as little as 10 days. The OG is around 1.045 to 1.050 and the FG is about 1.008 to 1.010. I use Wyeast 2112 (California Lager). I've been washing 2112 for about five generations now and I swear every generation gets faster. My krausen now regularly drops two days after forming (three days total). I let it sit for about a week, then cold crash and keg it. It settles well, but I usually still use gelatin to speed things along. And I force carb in the keg at 30 PSI for about 2-3 days. Some beers benefit from staying in the fermenter longer. That particular recipe is not one of them.

Back