Difference in quality -All extract as opposed to Partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickaleen

Reaction score
Newbie here wondering if there is a big difference in quality between an extract recipe as opposed to a partial mash. So far I have been doing just all extract and am thinking about the next step. Any and all opinions welcomed.

Thanks

Mike

Yes there is a noticeable difference. All you need is a 5gal strainer bag that is under $5. Just do it!

do some searches. there are LOTS of threads on this. just hope Revvy doesn't get a hold of you. the "similar threads" box at the bottom of this page pretty much will give you all you want to know.

The difference IMHO is more control. You won't necessarily make "better" beer, but you will be able to make way more complex beers. It really isn't very much harder than doing an extract with steeping grains.

A good brewer can make an extract beer that will blow you away. A crappy brewer can ruin the **** out of an AG or partial mash recipe.

Either one is good.

A good brewer can make an extract beer that will blow you away. A crappy brewer can ruin the **** out of an AG or partial mash recipe.

Either one is good.

Teach a monkey how to read and he can brew an extract, but, it is your creation once you go all-grain or partial.

To me, an AG brewer, an extract or partial mash brewer is just skipping steps and does not really enjoy the process. It takes much longer to make an AG brew, however, the process is longer which equals more enjoyment.

EDIT: Some cannot afford the equipment right away, this is understandable. But, once you have went AG, it is even more addictive and cheaper, especially if you grow your hops and harvest your yeast.
:mug:

Teach a monkey how to read and he can brew an extract, but, it is your creation once you go all-grain or partial.

To me, an AG brewer, an extract or partial mash brewer is just skipping steps and does not really enjoy the process. It takes much longer to make an AG brew, however, the process is longer which equals more enjoyment.

EDIT: Some cannot afford the equipment right away, this is understandable. But, once you have went AG, it is even more addictive and cheaper, especially if you grow your hops and harvest your yeast.
:mug:

:confused: You're entitled to your opinion but it is respectfully, just that. I do extract/PM and AG brews and enjoy them all equally. Sometimes I don't have the time for an AG brew, nor can I justify spending the time on an AG brew if I can make the "exact" same beer with extract. You say AG is cheaper, but how much is your time worth? AG brews take me 2 hours more than Extract, if I can make the same beer in less time then it's a wash IMHO.

:confused: You're entitled to your opinion but it is respectfully, just that. I do extract/PM and AG brews and enjoy them all equally. Sometimes I don't have the time for an AG brew, nor can I justify spending the time on an AG brew if I can make the "exact" same beer with extract. You say AG is cheaper, but how much is your time worth? AG brews take me 2 hours more than Extract, if I can make the same beer in less time then it's a wash IMHO.

I have kids an I am always looking for an escape.

All, I am saying it that extract brews are like putting puzzle together. It is very hard to screw it up.

I've been brewing just over a year and a half and have done extract only, extract with grains, partial mash and several all grain. I have made really good beer with each and often depending on what I want, time constraints, etc., will do one or the other. Of my last 3 brews 2 were extract only, one was partial mash, and my next, this coming Sunday when my wife and daughter are at a baby shower, is AG (red dog esb). Once you learn what you like and the correct process of each and when something doesn't work out learn what was wrong and correct it you can make good beer whichever way. I do agree with wyzazz that more complex beers are able to be made PM and AG, which may be the "better" that some people talk about.

I bring my daughter outside to "help", she likes to point at the pot and say "bier" and "hot". She's my mini brewsistant, and likes to walk around with empty bottles and blow in them. I think it all comes down to what you like to do, but I think we can agree you can make GREAT beer from all 3 methods. Sometimes I just want to make a quick extract brew, and sometimes I want to spend 4-5 hours brewing/drinking/relaxing outside.

You can make great beer with both, but PM is way more fun and interesting, IMO. It's just more fun to make beer from grain, and thereby to be able to control things like attentuation, mouth feel, etc. It's also a lot easier to control color. And you have way more options as to types of beers you can make.

I do AG now, and I love it, but to my mind PM can be just as much fun.

I just recently went from Extract, to a PM once, and now 3 batches AG. All these batches have been 1 week apart. This has given me a good window to taste the difference of each brew. I can definitely notice the difference in taste between the AG and the Extract. The Extract does tend to have an "extract taste"...hard to explain. And the AG batches are better. You can taste different layers, grains, yeast, water....etc. I tried the PM and it was in between but much better then the normal extract.

Whenever moving it up to next phase of brewing I recommend making yourself a check list with everything laid out and prepared. You will run into problems every time, but less if you have it written right in front of you. I highly suggest you give it a shot. Even if your first PM has problems by the 2nd or 3rd you will be happy you did, and probably move to all grain.

CHeers

One advantage to partial mash is having the ability to use grains/adjuncts you can't in an extract only batch. You can use maris otter malt, flaked corn, oats, etc, in a partial mash.

I think a great first partial mash recipe would be an oatmeal stout- something you just can't make with extract only.

I think the biggest difference is in the "freshness" of the grain flavor. Even just steeping helps immensely over pure extract. It's not really any harder to go from steeping to PM though and you get access to a lot larger variety of grains at the cost of time. Flexibility and control are what you get by changing to PM (or AG) - quality is more about fresh ingredients and strict process...

Back