Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still in the middle of welding a new single tier stand together and waiting for my elements to arrive . Ill plumb my stand for gas for outside use in the summer but use 2 5000 watt elements for my basement brewery for the winter . This site has been a major source of ideas and knowledge keep up the good work guys ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389545850.767647.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389545918.159588.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389545946.681659.jpg

Running of my houses natural gas, and there's a giant vent hood (air/moisture tight) with a hydroponics vortex fan venting gases and moisture. Nobody upstairs could smell the boiling wort.

Possible to post a cpl pics of vent hood setup?

I see what you did there... Is that a chevy wheel under your Boil Kettle? !!!! :rockin:

I think it's from a VW, 15" wheel fits like a glove (after some angle grinding) under the kettle (made from a hot water cylinder, the other half is the mash tun). The boil times are about 15% better than without "the skirt".

The vent system is just a 12V computer fan and some semi rigid ventilation duct. The duct's upper end has the fan and it's next to a ventilation duct that has a small bathroom duct fan on it. There's a small gap between the lid and the duct to prevent "a vacuum" forming in to the kettle. The 12V fan is hooked on an Arduino and controlled by PWM(speed adjustment). I only get steam in the room when adding hops... The lid is made from a lamp shade. There's a small hole in the lowest point of the duct to let the condensated water out.

The kettle + mash tun:
IMG_20130826_5754.JPG
IMG_20130826_5756.JPG
IMG_20130829_5805.JPG
IMG_20130831_5832.JPG
IMG_20131203_6795.JPG

Water heaters are glass lined to keep them from rusting...how did you cut it and/or deal with that inner surface coating? Or did you luck into a stainless tank? From an ex-plumber, that's awesome BTW!!!

Sent from my Xoom using Home Brew mobile app

It's stainless, most of them are around here. My HLT, on the wall in the previous pictures, is also an old water heater, but that one is made from "normal steel" with an epoxy inner coating (at least that's what I believe they use here). I paid $14US for that high pressure stainless tank with a defective heating element :)

Score! I'll have make friends with some of the plumbers around here and see what I can find. Did you cut with a saw, grinder, torch, plasma, something else?

Not to burst your bubble, but he is international. Finding one like that stateside will be more difficult... You can however look for swimming pool filters; some are stainless and make great vessels-- much more likely to find something like that than a stainless hot water tank.

Score! I'll have make friends with some of the plumbers around here and see what I can find. Did you cut with a saw, grinder, torch, plasma, something else?

An angle grinder and a couple of standard discs + some work to get the polyurethane insulation off from it was all that was needed.

On the mash tun it's great to have the bottom access i.e. the former in- and outlets, there's no need to make any holes in the lid. There's also the hole for the heating element that I plan to use for dumping the used grains ... as soon as I can source a cheap butterfly valve from somewhere.

I've been thinking that these could be used for beer keg's as well, but it would need a proper poisons + pumps for cleaning as there's no access inside. Or steam.

Could you describe how the vent system is constructed?
Here's quick video, if you want to have a look. I didn't have the time to edit it, but it's still easier to see how it goes than explain it. Works quite well even without the lid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO8IlvWlKIY

Sahweet! Love how it vents to the back.

Thanks! I have been very happy with the design. I have seen several online that are similar, and there are even pictures of one on the website of the vendor (Brewers Hardware) I bought the burners and stainless heat shields from. I did mine a little differently by putting the small pieces of tubing in that orientation instead of just leaving the back open. I wanted to still have support on all four sides just because. The front doesn't get too hot at all, but you walk around back and it feels like jet engine wash. Mission accomplished.

Right now I am in the middle of adding electronic ignition for the burners so I don't have to reach in there with a BBQ lighter any more. Here's a picture of the ignition button in a box mounted to the top rail. I wanted a smaller box, but this 4 inch square version was the best I could do at Home Depot given the size of the electronic ignitor assembly.

AddingBurnerIgnition.jpg

Here's quick video, if you want to have a look. I didn't have the time to edit it, but it's still easier to see how it goes than explain it. Works quite well even without the lid.]

Terrific! Very helpful. A simple elegant solution. Hard to believe a computer fan can move that much air.

Looks almost as much snow and cold as here in Minnesota.

I don't have a lot of room in the basement area of my house so I came up with this simple design. MT on the very top level, BK off on the right and the HLT right below the MT. It's an electric all grain setup I am building using 10 Gal kettles and a 10 gallon cooler. I made the entire control panel from scratch and sourced my own parts, I just followed the directions on Kal's awesome site. The control panel is being held by a heavy duty TV swing out arm so that I can swing it in when not in use and tuck it away. I have to seal the wood stand, install the pump that will go from the HLT to the MT and build a hood above the BK.

BrewStand.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391215118.554350.jpg

This is my single tier HERMS system. The stand started its life as a process table in a lab. My company was hired to demolish the building, all the content of the structure were headed to the dumpster. I narrowed the frame by 7 inches and took a couple of feet out of end. Added castors and some other touches. I have brewed three 10 gallon batches since Christmas and am very happy with the set up.

I have not taken the time to paint it yet, I wanted to use it for a few more brew days to be sure I like the set up. So far it has worked well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

After months of lurking and looking at all these rigs, I finally get to post a mine.

Just a single tier with 2 BG-14's and two chugger pumps. I plan on doing a HERMS system eventually, but for know I wrapped the mash to insulate it.

My friend took the awesome pictures of the stand.
1170784_10100815312539184_1560869656_n.jpg

11588_10100815312614034_2114583008_n.jpg

Pumps hooked up to the remote control electrical outlets, and those to the single extension cord. Can control either pump with a push of button works really well.
1391893_10100815312693874_42722129_n.jpg

1620580_10100815312823614_236426476_n.jpg

1176297_10100815312698864_1476004405_n.jpg

Here are some quick photos of my new 12g herms system...

I have been at this so called hobby, which borderlines on obsession sometimes, now for almost one year.
I started with an 8g kettle from morebeer and their burner, and recently became the lucky recipient of a whole bunch of kegs.
Mmmmbaby it was a great couple of months putting this new rig together. when it came time to put the pressure test on for the new flexible keg fermenter heads I had made, it was an exercise in patience let me just say. Sooo many pieces to test and soap up... in the end it turned out that adjustable pressure relief valve was only tuned to 4psi. 10lbs of CO2 and weeks later I finally picked up the 20 lb springs for the APRV and am heading home to test them.

I will post more upclose once I figure out how to stop this new app from flipping my pics upside down...

Missing from the pic:
2 corny kegs - in use
Fridegenstein - analong 90s fridge converted thanks to HBT!
Keg cleaner/washer - thank you to HBT again for that!
4 glass/plastic carboys
New $50 5cu` chest freezer which, again thanks to HBT, is going to be my mobile beer fridge... =;>

IMG_20140129_095206.281.jpg

IMG_20140129_095223.603.jpg

IMG_20140130_111923.047.jpg

IMG_20140129_095332.440.jpg

IMG_20140129_095324.786.jpg

Just started brewing on the big pots. Still needs some refinement.
40 gallon steam kettle converted to direct fire.
30 gallon steam kettle with 12" domed false bottom.
Big-ass heat exchanger from dairy tank for chiller.

Now that is a sweet rig!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

2nd batch on my new electric system build. Works great just need to work on a few things with the connections and such. Would have been better if it was a 50amp system so I could heat up the sparge water and still be mashing but other then that I love it. Huge thanks to PJ and his RIMS electrical wiring diagram! Saving up for SS pots and getting rid of the hard to clean kegs for sure.

New Electric Brew System by Ludahchris, on Flickr

Back