ALCS... anyone still care??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateKerx

Reaction score
I DO!!

Tonight I'm supplementing Beckett's natural dynamite with the kind of luck you only get by roasting a stout and brown sugar glazed ham ...

My cousin and I roasted a ham for game 1 (cranberry maple glazed), and look where that got us! If I had any sense, I would have roasted one every game since. Ham is a lucky meat.

Also thinking about doing some beer battererd fried pickles, whatever it takes to bring this party back to bean town!!

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Beckett will bring the series back to Boston. Then we'll pray that Schill & Dice-K can give us quality starts.

Beckett and Shill can win against anybody. Dice-K, you don't have the same confidence - but Game 7s are always a crapshoot.

Hell, we're in a better position that we were in 2004! This team is still very much flawed, but I wouldn't start printing World Series tickets if I were Cleveland, you know?

yeah I dont know, if we slump out tonight I dont know how well im going to take it, but as a precautionary measure, im dragging my MLT into the living room to use as an actual cooler for immediate access.

I think this game is going to be a pretty easy read early on, either 1-2-(3)-(5) are gonna start hitting or they wont, especially pedroia.

It's been a pretty good series even if a little one-sided so far. I'm a little torn on who to pull for in this. One one side, I'd like the Indians to do well. As a White Sox fan, I'd like to see my division take the AL crown for a third year in a row. Additionally, the Indians have the the 2nd longest WS droubt next to the Cubs, so it would add a little salt to Cub fan's wounds; and that always puts a smile on my face.

On the other hand, my BIL is a HUGE Red Sox fan, so he's got me to the point where I do like the team.

Really, I just want a good series. This is, the REAL World Series afterall.

It all comes down to run support.
As for Dice-K he is a great pitcher. If he got the run support that Josh and Wakefield garned during the regular season he'd be at 20 wins easily.

I really thought that Wakefield was going to bring the series even at 2 all. The thing that bothers me the most was that he really was pitching well, and if he didn't try to field that ball, Pedroia could've turned the double play inning over instead of putting up 5 runs.

Schilling is 4-3 at home this year with a 4.06 ERA ... not great, but I think he'll rise to the ocassion because of his poor performance in game two. He's got even more video on all the Cleveland hitters and I think he'll pitch a lot better.

Matsuzaka though, I'm not so sure about. That guy looks like he's just lost all confidence. Although, he is 8-4 at home.

Drew is such a joke, I can't believe that a $50 mil player is being replaced by a journeyman utility player like Bobby Kielty.

It has been a great series.....We'll have to see which CC shows up tonight... I am rooting for the tribe (true tigers fan though).

Manny Ramirez is a deush bagg by the way. Lets stand there and gloat about my homerun .....although we're still down by 4 runs....He looked like an idiot....he was acting like he hit a walkoff.

Im always happy to see the BoSox nor the Yanks make it to the WS.

Not only is Beckett going tonight, but JD Drew is out of the lineup which also gives me some hope. I'm not so sure Shill is a lock in game 6 and Dice-K scares me for game 7 (I think that's gonna be a starter-by-committee game).

Personally I think the Sox are still in it and can still win, but it's gonna be tough.

Glibbidy said:
It all comes down to run support.
As for Dice-K he is a great pitcher. If he got the run support that Josh and Wakefield garned during the regular season he'd be at 20 wins easily.

He received the same exact run support as Wakefield did 5.72 vs. 5.76. He received just under one run less than Beckett.

Lets hear it from all of you New England brewers, need some support for the Red Sox tonight! I life in PA and there are a lot of Indians fans around here (can't stand that). My wife is originally from Greenfield Mass. We will be watching BIG poppy and company bring the series back to Boston tonight!!

Hell ya I still care. Even though I think that it's over even if the series does go back to Boston, I'd much rather have the Indians just wrap things up tonight at home.

GO TRIBE!

wahoo.jpg

I'll be watching, even though I really don't have any vested interest other than it is sports. I'll be flipping between that and the hockey game on HDNet.

A buddy of mine is a yuge WIndians fan, so I guess I gotta be a good buddy and jump on the bandwagon. ;) He was over at my place watching the game the other night and his brother called from the Jake. It was pretty cool.

Tophe said:
Manny Ramirez is a deush bagg by the way. Lets stand there and gloat about my homerun .....although we're still down by 4 runs....He looked like an idiot....he was acting like he hit a walkoff.

Hey man, Manny is not a *********. He isn't a deush bagg either.

But hey, the next time you happen to be one of the greatest sluggers in professional baseball, and you knock a dinger into the pen at jacobs field in the face of forty-three and a half thousand commemerative indians facecloths, you can round the bases in a more reserved manner.

Manny is just making it look good for the fans back home.

NateKerx said:
But hey, the next time you happen to be one of the greatest sluggers in professional baseball, and you knock a dinger into the pen at jacobs field in the face of forty-three and a half thousand commemerative indians facecloths, you can round the bases in a more reserved manner.

I remember the days when Manny would have been DRILLED during his at-bat for those antics. It's too bad MLB has decided to take the policing of the game out of the hands of the players.

I care. I was on a little business trip Tuesday night watching the game in the hotel bar with some business associates that flew in to SW Wisconsin for a meeting with us. Yep, they're from Boston, so it was a fun time. Each run got the opposing team a beer. I only had to buy 3!

NateKerx said:

What did Bill Simmons say? Something about Manny not even knowingthe score, or even that they KEEP score? Just that if he hits a homer and if all of his teammates are waiting for him at the plate, he knows the game's over and it's time to go to the strip club.

srm775 said:
He received the same exact run support as Wakefield did 5.72 vs. 5.76. He received just under one run less than Beckett.
I guess stats don't lie, it just seems like the Boston bats couldn't generate enough runs for Dice-k during the regular season.:(
For a rookie he ain't so bad.

srm775 said:

I probably watched 90% of the games this season, those stats are a little misleading, Dice-K typically got 0-2 runs of support or over 7. The Sox's bats were as inconsistent behind Dice-K as he was on the mound.

Alright, it's go time! I'm wearing the jersey and hat I got at Fenway and I just kissed my 2004 pennant and my autographed Papelbon picture. Gotta muster as much Red Sox mojo as possible for this game!!!

cnbudz said:
Alright, it's go time! I'm wearing the jersey and hat I got at Fenway and I just kissed my 2004 pennant and my autographed Papelbon picture. Gotta muster as much Red Sox mojo as possible for this game!!!

Yep, gotta go watch the game. See you guys later!

NateKerx said:

Sorry for the spelling error....but I can't stand Manny....He takes away from the game. He just looks like an idiot out there ....so what if he is a good hitter.

Thats why he got a single out of a ball that bounced off of the wall. He was loafin and had atleast an easy stand up double if he hustled.

If he was doing it for the fans back home, why did he say it doesnt matter to him if they win tonight or not....he doesnt care about the fans. He only cares about himself. That makes him look stupid.

Thought I'd check back in to see how po'd the sox fans are that Manny's hit wasn't ruled a homer. I was the right call, imho.

Manny may have been loafing, but according to the rules, that's a homerun. Given it's the opposite of what Tim McCarver said, it makes sense.

Tophe said:
Sorry for the spelling error....but I can't stand Manny....He takes away from the game. He just looks like an idiot out there ....so what if he is a good hitter.

Thats why he got a single out of a ball that bounced off of the wall. He was loafin and had atleast an easy stand up double if he hustled.

If he was doing it for the fans back home, why did he say it doesnt matter to him if they win tonight or not....he doesnt care about the fans. He only cares about himself. That makes him look stupid.

I'm not defending the guy, but when you get paid $20 million a year for playing a game, I'd imagine that it's pretty easy to get into 'only cares about himself' mode.

It looked gone to me, and yes, Dane Cook is really on my last nerve.

As far as Manny and that ridiculously misconstrued quote... Many cares about the post season, he cares about the world series. In an interview after that "*****ie" home run" Manny said that he would gladly trade the post season home run record he had just set, or any of his other records, for an opportunity to play in this years world series.

The fact that he gives a crap is evidenced by the fact that Manny has gone to exceptional lengths to make sure he is the best hitter he can be. Anyone who doubts this should check out his self-imposed work out schedule, as well as the unique coordination and pitch recognition regimen he's spent years devoted to.

Just because he's not flying out of the box every time he cracks one doesn't mean he isn't one of the hardest working players on the field. Players invest their energy in different ways and they have own limitations.

See you all in BOSTON!!!:ban:

As far as Manny goes....

I played baseball at a high level, and I'm sure there are some on this board who have too, or have been close to people who have...When you play 162 regular season games, and failing 70% of the time, you need to have a certain attitude that isn't worried about how well you are playing the game. I bet if you asked every player on the 40 man for the sox, their sentiments would be something like:

"Well, hell ya I want to play in the series. But if we don't win today, oh well; there's nothing you can do--we tried our hardest. At least there is next year."

Manny was just trying to convey this attitude. Tomorrow is no different than today; and today is no different than yesterday. It just came out in Manny language, which usually doesn't translate well to English.

I'm wiling to be the majority of redsox fans weren't as upset as the media (read: FOX and ESPN) is making it seam. I know I wasn't.

I really thought (and was hoping) that McCarver was either going to have a heart attack or just get up and walk away when Manny didn't hustle out of the batter's box on that HR/single.

McCarver just needs to calm to f*ck down; someone needs to dump some cold water or something on him (where's Deion Sanders when we need him?

p1_sanders.jpg

Okay, A) I am still amazed anyone still cares what Manny says or does; the guy is a space cadet and B) Tim McCarver and Joe Buck do not seem to know what they are talking about on the most basic of points (it took them a half inning to figure out what the ground rules are at the Jake) so again, I'm not sure why anyone cares what they say about anything else.

Personally, if the old Curt Schilling shows up tomorrow night, this will go to a game 7 where it's a crap shoot; if the new Schill shows up, the Sox are toast.

McCarver was kind of out of line last night. Yeah, we know you didn't like it. Move on.

I've always hated Joe Buck. I usually turn down the volume when he is doing a game. He has a funny quip every once in a while, but he uses the same jokes too often. He mostly lives on his Dad's reputation. I just don't understand why people think he is so great.

I think Cleveland's problem is they can't figure out Beckett. No matter who the Sox have left--the Indians will pull this out. Sabathia also kind of had 2 off games in a row.

DaveyBoy said:
Anyone else sick of Dane Cook?

Yes, and I hate, hate HATE Tim "a walk is worse than a homerun" McDouchbag. Actually, I think fox does a horrible job with the LC and WS. I can't stand Jeanne Zelasko either ... ever since she cut off Ernie Harwell in mid sentence during the All-star game I lost all respect for her.

I wish TBS would take it over and bring it Summerall, Gwynn, Stone, Brenly etc. Hell, a drunk retarded spider-monkey would be better than the duo of Buck & McRetard. I shutter to say this, but I'd rather listen to Joe Morgan than McCarver.

Back