Motorized Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdoiv

Reaction score
So, I'm starting to think about motorizing my mill. I have a grain gobler that I bought from morebeer 6 or 7 years ago. I'm thinking of picking up a little kitchen cart with a butcher block top from Target (see this, ) cutting a hole in the top and mounting the mill to it. If I move the second shelf down, I should be able to fit a bucket under the mill.

The only thing I think I'll have to figure out is what size motor do I need and what size pulleys. Harbor freight had some rather cheap motors that look like they would work, but I don't really know. Also, how do I mount the pulley to the mill. I can get a drill bit adapter for the mill that I think will work for the axle for the pulley, but I've never dealt with mounting pulleys before.

Anybody have any info on motors and pulleys? Thanks.

I use a 1/6 HP motor (1725rpm) with a 1.5"pulley mounted on the motor side and 8" pulley mounted on the mill shaft side. Works pretty good.

But a 1/6 HP motor is a bit too small. I can't put my grain in the hopper and start the motor. I need to start the motor first and put the grain after, not really annoying but it's good to know. I recommend to use 1/3 HP to have more torque.

Few interesting link:

http://byo.com/departments/1123.html <- good article
www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html <- calculator for pulley, useful.

Yel

Excellent! Thanks for the tips and links. Looks like I need to run over to Harbor Freight some day soon.
Thanks

Dustin_J said:
http://www.electronicsurplus.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=76923&czuid=1188943073673

You should be able to direct couple this motor to your mill so that you don't even need to worry about pullys etc...just $5 worth of spider couplings. I got mine for $30 shipped plus another $10 or so for the couplings & shipping from McMaster-Carr and it works like a champ with my Crankandstein mill.

Thanks Dustin_J! Do you have a parts list? Also, any pictures of how you mounted it up or project guide?

I am planning on motorizing my mill here soon as well. I am always weary of buying from harbor freight or the likes. I assume that my crankandstein will last for many many years. I think I'll buy a higher quality motor to turn it.

jdoiv said:
Thanks Dustin_J! Do you have a parts list? Also, any pictures of how you mounted it up or project guide?

Here are the parts I bought for my Crankandstein along with their McMaster-Carr parts numbers. The coupling for the mill (15 mm metric - 6408K133) and the Buna-n spider (6408K74) should be the same, but you'll have to pick the appropriate spider-shaft coupling to fit the diameter of the shaft for the drive roller on your mill (to replace the 6408K133 listed here).

1 6408K133 FLEXIBLE SPIDER SHAFT COUPLING HUB, 3/8" BORE, 1-3/4" OD, WITHOUT KEYWAY

1 6413K133 METRIC SPIDER COUPLING HUB, 15 MM BORE, 1-3/4" OD, WITH KEYWAY

1 6408K74 BUNA-N SPIDER FOR 1-3/4" OUTSIDE DIAMETER, FLEXIBLE SPIDER SHAFT COUPLING HUB

All of this stuff should run about $12 total

As for pictures, I don't have any pictures of mine. Here's a link to some pictures from one of the other guys in my club who did something similar. He's the guy I stole the idea from :D . He has a different mill, but it's the same idea. http://www.theredsalamander.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1185760323

I have a 2,000 hp one sitting in my wherehouse if you need it (and thats not a mistake, I work for an energy company), I think I might hook it up to my corona that I found in a box of assorted homebrew stuff I picked up yesterday,

anywho, I'm thinking of motorizing the corona (mainly cause I am lazy and have some motors in my garage),

good luck with your project

Thanks Dustin_J!

OT: East Lansing huh? I was just up there last weekend for my brother-in-laws wedding. He lives over in Grand Ledge.

Latest posts

Back