continuing education

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeegod

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have been brewing for a little over a year and a half. I have read Palmer's How to brew, Homebrewing for dummies, Home brewing by Dave Miller, Brewing Classic Styles, all three of Charlie Papazans [sp] books, as well as homebrewing gadgets... my question is this what is next? Any classic reads out there to further my education? What is your favorite brewing book?

Designing Great Beers is a must have in my opinion.

I just got Tasting Beer by Randy Mosher, who also wrote Radical Brewing. Both are great books.

The series of three books... Farmhouse Ales, Brew Like a Monk, and Wild Brews. Awesome if you like Belgian style beer.

For food pairing, Garrett Oliver's Brewmaster's Table is a nice read.

+1 on Brew Like a Monk and Radical Brewing. I also just got Principles of Brewing Science, but haven't started reading it yet (just got it yesterday).

+1 on Brew Like a Monk and Radical Brewing. I also just got Principles of Brewing Science, but haven't started reading it yet (just got it yesterday).

The second ed. of the Principles of Brewing Science seems like an interesting read, but you need to have a fairly sturdy understanding of bio and math to really get all you can out of it. And really, it will increase your understanding of the chemical processes that take place, but it won't likely help you make a better beer.

That said, it is one of the only modern homebrew books I don't own and it is on my list.

++ Designing Great Beers. That should be the next book you read.
++ on Brew Like a Monk and Farmhouse Ales if you like those styles, or at least if you want to brew them

The second ed. of the Principles of Brewing Science seems like an interesting read, but you need to have a fairly sturdy understanding of bio and math to really get all you can out of it. And really, it will increase your understanding of the chemical processes that take place, but it won't likely help you make a better beer.

Yeah, that was the impression I got just leafing through it in a store. But I'm a chemistry geek, and I've read several of the other classics, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around more of what's going on at the molecular level. May not help me make better beer, but should be a fun read anyway.

The Encyclopedia of Beer.
My copy's more than 10 years old. I hope it's being updated regularly.
It has some useful historical info. Profiles of the breweries that were around when it came out, descriptions and histories of the different styles, etc.
It's not something you'll read cover to cover (unless you're like me) but if you want to know where the term "vorlauf" comes from, or how a 16th century alewife let people know her latest batch was ready to drink, that's where you'd find out. :)

Beer - Tap into the Art & Science of Brewing by Charlie Bamforth is a fantastic read, i'm surprised no-one really talks about this one.

The Encyclopedia of Beer.
My copy's more than 10 years old. I hope it's being updated regularly.
It has some useful historical info. Profiles of the breweries that were around when it came out, descriptions and histories of the different styles, etc.
It's not something you'll read cover to cover (unless you're like me) but if you want to know where the term "vorlauf" comes from, or how a 16th century alewife let people know her latest batch was ready to drink, that's where you'd find out. :)

I wish I had an alewife LOL

Or don't I? I am buying that encyclopedia for sure!

Not sure how many LHBS do this but ours holds classes a few times a year. There are two extract and one AG class coming up in November. I plan on attending at least one class (since I'm still in my rookie season I plan on catching the extract class first).

Latest posts

Back