Flanders Red - Dulle Griet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the gravity?

I was inspired by this recipe last winter and brewed up a batch.

My Roselare packets were old (out of season) so I pitched 2 in a 5 gallon batch.

It's been 8 months and I never really saw a pellicle, but I finally tasted some yesterday and it was beautiful. I wanted to pull another sample, but resisted.

Tasted about as close to Jolly Pumpkin's La Roja as I could have hoped, maybe slightly less complex but definitely sour, funky and no off flavors.

So should I bottle it up now and capture the deliciousness, or wait the full 12-18 months. I just can't see it getting much better. Any suggestions?

I just bottled a *very* sour batch of brew that I asked you about 18 months ago, and figured I would dig this thread up from the dead and see how yours was turning out. Mine tastes very cleanly sour, not much funk noticeable. FG was 1.016, which seems high to me, but it had nice body to counter a bit of the sour. Thanks again for your help!

Brewing this one tomorrow! Just curious...haven't read the entire thread, has anyone attempted this with a true sour mash? That's my intention this weekend.

And now it seems to be pushing the two year mark, where i'm at on my first ever sour/brett/lambic experiment. Still got the pellicle, getting anxious to bottle!

Back