Hydrometer Jar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaska_ROB

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering what all you guys like to use for your hydrometer sampling jar (glass vile, jar, cup?)

THanks
Rob

I use one of the cheap plastic ones from the LHBS.... I couldn't find much need to spend more than a couple bux on one..

Ditto.

The one I got was under $3 and the tube unscrews from the base to make it easier to clean. Does that make sense? It does in my head, but it doesn't always translate to others. :drunk:

:mug:

I never have good luck with the plastic jars - the ones with the removable base always seem to leak. I just use the plastic container the hydrometer came in.

I've had pretty good luck with the plastic tube that the hydrometer came in....Just have to be a little careful.

Wine thief... its long enough to get a good sample from a carboy or a bucket..

I use one of the cheap plastic ones from the LHBS.... I couldn't find much need to spend more than a couple bux on one..

I have to ditto this one.... Nothing special, but the thinnest and still allow the hydrometer freedom of movement is best. That way you don't take more wort than absolutely necessary. I am finding a refractometer is the way to go though. The more I use it, the more I realize what I have been missing all this time.

I just bought a refractometer and it is great... but it also has a couple of idiosyncrasies. For example... you need to calibrate it with both an accurate hydrometer and with several samples of unfermented wort.

I use the plastic vessel that the hydrometer came in.

HOWEVER -- mine is a little warped at the bottom as I poured in some wort one brewday that was a little too hot. Let all your samples cool down to less than 90 F before using the thin plastic tube.

The tube it comes in is best. Barely uses any wort at all so it allows for more to be left :) which is always a plus.

I am finding a refractometer is the way to go though. The more I use it, the more I realize what I have been missing all this time.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but:

Doesn't a refractometer mess up when dealing with alcohol? I've heard it's fine for getting the SG, but it isn't accurate for the FG.

I messed up the tube it came in with hot wort. I ordered one with a base from Northern Brewer. I like it better. It is a little wider, so the hydrometer does not stick to the side as much. It also makes my brewing area look more like a mad scientists lab!

......Sorry to hijack the thread, but:

Doesn't a refractometer mess up when dealing with alcohol? I've heard it's fine for getting the SG, but it isn't accurate for the FG.

Quick answer, no. B3 has a nice Excel spreadsheet that will account for the alcohols as long as you know the OG before pitching the yeast.
You have to use those calculations once fermentation has started instead of just reading the refractometer and using that reading as the correct value.

I bought one of the glass hydrometer jars since my hydromer would always stick a little bit to the side of the plastic tube it came in when doing a reading. Could have made it off by 2-4 points.

Ok so here's a newbie question. Why not just take the reading in the fermentor (using a bucket and assuming the hydrometer is sanitized first)?

Ok so here's a newbie question. Why not just take the reading in the fermentor (using a bucket and assuming the hydrometer is sanitized first)?

a) there's sometimes bubbles, hops, and other crap on the top in the fermentor that can make a reading harder
b) you have a higher chance of infecting the whole batch this way than pulling a sample
c) if you pull a sample you can taste it and see how it's going

a) there's sometimes bubbles, hops, and other crap on the top in the fermentor that can make a reading harder
b) you have a higher chance of infecting the whole batch this way than pulling a sample
c) if you pull a sample you can taste it and see how it's going

That pretty much sums it all up....

Latest posts

Back