Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Cabrera gets a lot better pitches with the prince behind him. I'm not a fan of fattys on the diamond though, even at first.

Yea, TX is a great team. They took us out in the playoffs last year, and this year have hammered us pretty good (so have you guys). Man, TX have some big hitters.

Hate saying it, considering a lot of the blogosphere is saying the Giants are WS contenders again, but I feel like Texas is due this year. 2 years of coming in second place has to wear on a team, but Washington has said time & time again that it's a matter of execution, and it seems like Texas is working up a good head of steam going into the ASG. Still a lot of ball to be played...

Going to throw this out there for any Detroit Tiger fans. I grew up in the Detroit area. I've been to a few hundred games. In 50 years I've never see a Tiger pitcher better than Verlander.

I think if anyone should be embarrassed it would be Bautista, He didn't look like an All Star on defense in the first inning. That was some poor attempts.

Lincecum = giant fail. What happened to him?

To be honest he's done. His velocity has come back some, but his location is gone, meaning his mechanics are ****ed. Now it's in his head, he used to battle but now he just gets overwhelmed. I hope I am wrong but I think he is done for good, pitchers have up and down years but Tim has the worst road ERA of a Giants starting pitcher at the break in over 100 years.

From SprotsCenter...

"Investigators say insufficient evidence to arrest Pablo Sandoval for an alleged sexual assault"

Maybe I shouldn't have dropped him from my fantasy team afterall! haha

I haven't posted in here all season I believe. That's because I'm a fair weather fan. I'll admit it. I'm more of an NFL fan than an MLB fan. I definitely go to a game once a year (they typically play one series at Chase Field) though as I am still a fan. If the Reds are doing poorly I'm awaiting football season, but I used to follow them constantly when I was young and remember vividly watching them sweep the A's in the 1990 World Series. I used to watch them constantly (win or lose) when I was young.

With that being typed...

Best record in the MLB! I'm going to a game at the end of next month and look forward to watching them win their 40th straight game at the end of August!

Agreed...but the good news is there is soooo much season left I'd rather have the dodgers get hot now then in September. We got this **** man...Giants!!!

Love the move for Scutaro, but they need a bullpen arm and an outfielder.

No matter how many years I watch baseball I still get a kick out the game. Tonight I saw an official scorer rule against an umpire. Tigers vs Twins. Runner ruled safe at first because the 1st baseman pulled his foot off the bag early. The only way to show the batter at first is because of an error. Kind of a BS call by the ump, but still his call. Later in the game the official scorer changed it from an error to a "failed" fielders choice call. NO!! it either has to be an error or the umpire was ruled wrong on the call by the "official" scorer.

Big win for the giants against a redhot nats team. After the 14-2 beat down last night I was ready to jump. Seems like whenever we play a contending team things start to fall apart. The lineup yesterday was super questionable IMO Scuttero at 3rd after they activated Pablo? Arias at short when you know you need some great defense behind Vogelsong to get a very important win...if anyone this season you expect a win when they starts, it's Vogelsong. Now let's win this series and take 2 of 3!

Went to the Rangers/Orioles game last night. My wife got my brother and I tickets for my b-day. 7th row, 1st level, ON 3rd base. Friggin' awesome. My wife rawks!! Moreland hit a grand slam and Beltre went 3 for 3 with homeruns! What a friggin night! The Rangers win it 12-3 on the 5th anniversary of when they beat the Orioles 30-3.

Been attending more minor league games this year than MLB. The Rangers AA team play about 7 minutes from my house. Minor league ball is a helluva lot of fun. Got tix for the 29th, 1st and the 2nd.

Man I love baseball!

What's the call? With a runner on second base, the batter pops up the ball, that is coming down directly on the 2nd base bag, the runner retreats to 2nd. The shortstop tries to field the ball and in moving from the front of the base to the base he falls over the runner and can't make the catch. I'll tell you the call later

I'll take a stab. I would call infield fly rule. Batter out. No runners advance.

The only runner was on 2nd base so infield fly wouldn't apply. Infield fly rule only applies when a runner with less than 2 out would be forced to advance if the fielder didn't catch the ball.

Hint : the play happened yesterday Tigers vs Twins. I've never see it before, none of the announcers ever saw it. The team managers never seen it before either.

Unless the base runner touched the ball or purposely tripped the SS I would call E6. If the base runner interfered he's out. What was the call?

Unless the base runner touched the ball or purposely tripped the SS I would call E6. If the base runner interfered he's out. What was the call?

The runner on 2nd was called out for interference. The umpire ruled that the base runner should have vacated the area to allow the fielder to make the catch. This is what would happen anywhere in the field of play. The twist here is that if the runner allowed room for the fielder to catch the ball he would be called out since the fielder would have made the catch standing on the bag. The next day the umpires told both managers that it was an incorrect call and that it should have been ruled a non play. In other words the correct call should have been that the batter would return to the batters box, the runner would still be at second, the ball, strike count would be the same as it was before the play took place. It was a play that no one has ever seen before. God, I love baseball. This is the second time in the last 8 day's I've seen something that I haven't seen in my 50 years of watching.

Very interesting. I guess I like the "dead ball" call better. Now the big question is if it ever happens again does an ump call it prior to it being fielded like an infield fly?

When was the game I wanna look for the highlight.

Very interesting. I guess I like the "dead ball" call better. Now the big question is if it ever happens again does an ump call it prior to it being fielded like an infield fly?

When was the game I wanna look for the highlight.

Dead ball is kinda close, but not quite the right call in this case. A dead ball is called after the play happens, in this case the batter would have to have a strike added to his total. The correct call was that the whole thing never happened. The game was Tigers, Twins on Saturday top of the fifth. I can't see an umpire calling it prior. I was limited to what the cameras were showing though.

Just another reason why is the best game of them all!

Another strange play was last week. In the bottom of the inning with 2 outs runner at 2nd, the batter hits one in the hole between SS and 3rd. The SS makes a nice stop and attempts to throw out the runner trying to advance from 2nd to 3rd but he throws wild and the runner then goes home and the batter takes 2nd on the error. It didn't look to me that the runner ever touched 3rd base. The manager comes out and makes a pitching change. The TV goes to commercial break, we get a couple of minutes of commercials and get back after the pitcher has completed his warm up tosses. The pitcher is on the mound and the runner on 2nd breaks for 3rd. The pitcher throws the ball to 3rd and the runner is tagged out. Ahh, but not so. The pitcher had not been on the rubber so time in was never called. No out recorded and send the runner back to 2nd. The pitcher steps on the rubber, time in is called and the runner from 2nd takes off for 3rd. The pitcher throws to 3rd and the 3rd baseman who is standing on the base tags the runner and an out is called. So now we have 3 outs and I'm seriously thinking that the runner must have been having a stroke to make such a bonehead attempt twice. An inning later the score on TV is reduced from 5-0 to 4-0. The stadium board still shows 5. Anyone care to guess what happened? Remember when I said I thought the runner missed 3rd. I'd forgotten that after the pitching change commercial break.

This one confuses me. If they came back after the fact and said he missed 3rd that's one thing. But after the pitcher had been changed and another out had been gotten? I understand that if a new "play" had not happened, since the new pitcher had not thrown a pitch yet, that the play could be overturned. But by the runner on 2nd being called out, did that not constitute as a "play" therefore making any previous plays not overturnable? (I know that's not a word!) However, if the runner on 2nd knew that the scoring runner did not touch 3rd, that might explain his reason for trying to steal 3rd twice in a row. Although it looked like a bonehead move, wasn't he insuring that the previous play did not get overturned by creating an out? Or am I thinking way too much about this?!?!?! :cross: Either way baseball is a talkin' sport and this is why it is awesome!

But by the runner on 2nd being called out!

That's the key. The runner from 2nd wasn't called out. The 3rd out was the appeal play. If the 3rd baseman had left the bag to tag the runner then that would have been the 3rd out and they couldn't appeal, and the run scored would have counted. The runner wasn't charged for an attempted steal. The great thing about this is, if the visiting team scored to go ahead in the top half of the following inning, but replaced that pitcher who tossed the ball to 3rd before the start of the bottom half would have gotten the win. Just another example of how a pitcher can get a win without throwing a single pitch.

Baseball doesn't have a system for the wild card playoff if three teams tie for the second spot. LOL I want to see this happen.

Baseball doesn't have a system for the wild card playoff if three teams tie for the second spot. LOL I want to see this happen.

Oakland / Tampa / Angels. Maybe. Please god.

And, since you're a Tigs fan, it's interesting to point out that all 3 of these teams struggling for a playoff spot have better records than the Tigers.

Oakland / Tampa / Angels. Maybe. Please god.

And, since you're a Tigs fan, it's interesting to point out that all 3 of these teams struggling for a playoff spot have better records than the Tigers.

I think I pointed out that Tampa had a better record in an earlier post, and it is still true, and I'll admit that Tampa plays more games against the East division than the Tigs. I've been searching for what will happen if Oakland / Tampa / Angels all end up with 91 wins. GO Tampa, I'm rooting for you.

I think I pointed out that Tampa had a better record in an earlier post, and it is still true, and I'll admit that Tampa plays more games against the East division than the Tigs. I've been searching for what will happen if Oakland / Tampa / Angels all end up with 91 wins. GO Tampa, I'm rooting for you.

I'm just bitter because I sense the end coming. Best to ignore me until the regular season is over.

Back