Why under pitch a Bavarian Hefeweizen ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
So I've decided to ferment my Bavarian Hefeweizen at 62 degrees. Now I have been reading (somewhere) that it's not a bad thing to underpitch.

Anyone know why it's not a bad thing?

My guess is so the yeast have to struggle and get stressed out at their big task which would produce the off flavors that the style is known for.

If you like over the top esters, it's good. Underpitching cause the yeast to have to replicate more, which in turn produces more esters.

Pitching rate can affect the amount of esters expressed; ester formation is linked to the rate of growth by the yeast. Many Belgian breweries will underpitch relative to American standards to coax a greater amount of esters out of their already characterful yeasts.

This is an interesting read on the subject.

Ester and other flavor component production or synthesis is a complex subject because there are so many variables taking place at the same time. You are right, ester production is related to yeast growth but not in the way you might think. The key element to yeast growth and ester production is acyl Co-A. It is necessary for both yeast growth and ester production. When it is busy with yeast growth, during the early part of the fermentation, it is not available for ester production. Ester production is directly related to biomass production. Everything that increases biomass production (intensive aeration, sufficient amount of unsaturated fatty acids, stirring) decreases ester production. The more biomass that is produced the more Co-enzyme A is used and therefore not available for ester production. Anything that inhibits or slows down yeast growth usually causes an increase in ester production: low nutrient, low O2. It has been noted that a drop in available O2 from 8 ppm down to 3 ppm can cause a four fold increase in esters.

SO - if I'm brewing at a very cool temperature to decrease the banana aspect would under pitching counteract this?

On the Yeast site "Increasing pitch rates will reduce ester production. "

SO - if I'm brewing at a very cool temperature to decrease the banana aspect would under pitching counteract this?

On the Yeast site "Increasing pitch rates will reduce ester production. "

You're overthinking it - with Weizen yeasts, temperature is about balancing the esters and phenols that the strains are selected for. 62° is a perfect temperature for fermenting a Hefeweizen.

Increasing pitching rates will reduce ester production; this is why I don't recommend pitching directly onto a cake from a previous fermentation if esters are important to the flavor profile - the fermentation will be too clean.

In other words, build a starter according to normal pitching rates since this is your first foray into Hefeweizen to establish a baseline for future experimentation.

If I want a heavy ester profile, I won't even make a starter (normally, I'm religious when it comes to making starters). Say, a 1.050 Hefeweizen, I'll pitch 2 vials instead of a starter because the exponential growth phase (where the isoamyl acetate ester (banana) is typically formed) will occur completely in the beer and not in a starter. But, I like a heavy ester profile in Hefeweizens and most Belgians.

I made Jamil's Hefeweizen a few months ago (from Brewing Classic Styles). I followed his instructions (ferment at 62F) and pitching rate (via starter from the Mr. Malty calculator). Turned out really well.

I'm bubbling away at 62 degrees and did not use a starter. Not really by choice but a timing thing. I put in a blow off tube this morning as it looked like it was starting to really ramp up and get active.

I'm surprised I can get to 62 actually - wet towel/fan trick with a 67 degree basement.

I don't make starters for Hefes. I just take a jar of washed hefe yeast out of the fridge, dump the beer on top, add some cooled wort, and pitch.

It goes INSANE, and the beer comes out exactly like I like it.

:ban:

I underpitch my hefe's to increase ester production. I will typically find the recommended cell count and decrease that number by 25% and shoot for that. My hefe's turn out better than any other beer I brew.

Back