Going to 10 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeufelBrew

Reaction score
Already have a 50qt coleman extreme mash tun with braided manifold. Works like a champ for my 5 gallon batches.

Have a 32qt pot I've been using for HLT and kettle, but it's a stretch for doing 5 gallons. Start with 7 gallons and there will be a boilover.:mad:

I want to keep that kettle and burner as HLT but not sure if I'll run into the same issues for 10 gallon if I use a 60qt pot. A 60qt pot is only half again the volume I'd be targeting, same as the 32qt pot for 5 gal batches.

So, you 10 gal folks, what size kettle? 60 or 80 qt?

60 should do you good. It couldn't hurt getting an 80 if you plan to make barleywine or something similar.

I use a keggle and haven't had any problems with boilovers with a 10 gal batch, so you could probably get by with a 60 qt. But like TommyBoy said, if you have the opportunity to go larger, it would give you room for whatever you might take on in the future.

Back