Hmm... extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So, I have a recipe I'm looking to make that calls for Pilsener LME. Looking on Austin Homebre Supply it doesn't seem they carry it. Could Light LME be substituted, or would that be just too different?

The recipe I'm looking to make was from a previous post, and is:

8lb Pilsener 2.3L LME
0.25lb Munich 9L LME

Hops
Hallertay 4% 60 min 1.5 oz

Yeast - important thing #1
White Lab WLP029 Germain Ale/Kolsch = OR 2.5 packages of Wyeast 2565 Kolsch

Ferment at 60 degrees for 4 weeks
carb to 2.5 volums

Extra light DME would probably be the best substitution if you still can't find the pilsener extract, but it won't be quite the same. It'll still turn out really well, I think, but perhaps not quite as crisp and clean as a real pils malt will get you.

Ya I've opted to not sub it in, though looks like I'll not be ordering form either Austin Homebrew nor Northern brewer. Both only offer UPS ground to Alaska, and even that was about $50 (that's just shipping). So I'll be looking local. We don't have a real good LHBS in the town I live, but 400 miles south is a good one. I think they'll ship in-state for cheapish.

But still, good to know for future ref what I could sub in.

You could do the recipe all grain; using very soft water for your mash, sparge and boil. Purified rain water, purified snow or distilled mixed with regular bottled water 2:1 would be ideal. Aside from the light malt, it's the water that makes a pilsner.

Back