They say - rootbeer or bust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
Ok so I had a trial of making rootbeer, it didn't go so well. The concentrated substance to mix was super strong. I was told once I made rootbeer in a keg I was screwed to ever use it for beer again!

So I rinsed it out when I was done and there it sat, I need it now and was hoping to somehow salvage it! I mean its stainless, something has to take the rootbeer taint off of it!?

Any ideas, hate to waste a good keg! :cross:

If the O-rings have picked up the smell then replace them, as well as any of the tubing you used. Your tap might need to get a very good cleaning as well.

If the O-rings have picked up the smell then replace them, as well as any of the tubing you used. Your tap might need to get a very good cleaning as well.

I was thinking the same, I couldn't fathom never being able to clean them enough. I mean I put rootbeer in a drinking glass, rinse and its gone!

Thanks

I put rootbeer in a keg once. It does take some soaking to get all the smell out, and you'll have to replace all 5 o-rings (dip tubs, QD's, and lid) as those will soak up rootbeer odor forever.

soaked the lid o-ring for a week in oxy-clean...still smelled like a can of Barq's.

Back