BIAB with 3 small pots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike37

Reaction score
I really want to try a no sparge BIAB. I have a 14 quart (3.5 gal) pot, an 8 quart (2 gal) pot, and a 6 quart (1.5 gal) pot. Roughly what size of a batch can I expect to be able to make? Sorry if there's a guide out there somewhere. My pc is down for the count and searching on my phone isn't very useful.

Well the math tells me you have 7 gallons of pots available, so you should be able to squeek a 5 gallon batch if you watch for boilovers in all three pots...challenging maybe...possible absolutely.

I suggest mashing in the big pot, then sparging in the other pots or a bucket and splitting the runnings b/w all the pots and brew on! No boilovers pemitted, be careful go easy!

Yea a full volume 5 gallon batch would do between all three but man what a pain to distribute all that grain?

Why not do a partial volume 2.5 gallon wort in the 3.5 ga and sparge with the other two, dunk and pour?

I've done partials with extract and they came out great. I'm sure with all grain it would be better, no?

As my bag maker said I will concur.

>>I really want to try a no sparge BIAB. I have a 14 quart (3.5 gal) pot, an 8 quart (2 gal) pot, and a 6 quart (1.5 gal) pot. Roughly what size of a batch can I expect to be able to make? Sorry if there's a guide out there somewhere. My pc is down for the count and searching on my phone isn't very useful.

The easy answer is ... get a 5 gallon pot - a decent one is $20 at The Chrismass Tree Shop. I got 2 for BIAB.
If not, do you have 2 bags for BIAB?
Split the grain 2-1 and mash in the 3.5 and 2 gallon pots.

After the mash, Boil the two pots at the same time (watch out for Boil Over), adding the 60 minute hops to the bigger pot, and the other hops to the smaller pot.

You will end up with less than 5 gallons, no problem!
After cooling the wort - and pouring into ferementor, add cold water to get up to 5 gallons.

I use two 5 gallon pots for my stovetop BIAB.
In fact, this weekend I will do a 16 lb BIAB Bourbon Barrel Old Ale on my stovetop.

I've seen it mentioned around here that people are brewing concentrated all grain wort and topping off with water in the fermenter. Is this a viable option for me? It seems like it's still a pretty debated method but it might be worth a shot.

Back