Work In Progress:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a good northwest style pale ale. Fairly light in color, nicely hopped without being too bitter, crisp flavor and aroma. This is the first recipe I've ever made by myself and I was wondering what you guys thought before I go to town on it.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 76.9 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (45 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 42.5 IBU
Est Color: 4.2 SRM

I don't know if I can, but I will say that I'm not a huge fan of most of the Rogue beers, so I'm not sure if I want to use their yeast.

I'm also trying to make this ultimately into my house ale, so I'd like to make it in easy to get ingredients.

I'm going to start with partial mash/full boil, and try to transfer it to an all grain setup when I have room for the equipment.

US-56 (or, I think it's now 05) is a great dry yeast for a pale ale, too.

Vienna malt is nice in a pale ale, just remember - you've got to mash it (along with the carapils). You'll never get the beer clear (which it wants to be) otherwise, and you won't get much of the flavor out.

That looks like a tasty recipe! I lived in Everett for a long time and became quite friendly with the guys over at Diamond Knot. They were very accomodating in giving away yeast one or two days a week. give them a call it would work well for an APA or IPA like that. can't get much more local and you will always have access to the same strain.

http://www.diamondknot.com/

I was also very friendly with The Flying Pig on Colby (downtown Everett). They will be less likely to give you any yeast, but befriend them. they are great guys and love homebrewers. I actually made a couple of my recipes on there system. their golden is a modification of my recipe.

I've been to Diamond Knot many a time, I love that place, and I had no idea they were open to home brewers! Thats very cool to know.

I may have to see about getting yeast from them. :)

Rook said:
I've been to Diamond Knot many a time, I love that place, and I had no idea they were open to home brewers! Thats very cool to know.

I may have to see about getting yeast from them. :)

open to homebrewers? they ARE homebrewers! check out that second link I sent you.

Back