All Grain to extract conversion help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challenger440

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a Moose Drool clone and I found an email here in the forums from the Big Sky Brewing Company posted by IrregularPulse about their recipe and used it to come up with this:

All Grain Recipe - Big Sky Moose Drool
1.052/1.016 (5 Gal)

Grain Bill
8.5 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
12 oz. - Crystal Malt (80L)
4 oz. - Crystal Malt (60L)
4 oz. - Chocolate Malt
0.5 oz. - Black Patent Malt

Hop Schedule (25.5 IBU)
2 oz - East Kent Goldings 4.5%aau (45min)
1 oz - Liberty 4.5%aau (5 min.)
1 oz - Willamette 4.5%aau (5 min.)
1 oz - Liberty 4.5%aau (0 min.)

I don't have any beer software so could someone convert this to extract (DME please) or partial mash for me?

:mug:

I know they say to convert to DME take the base malt and multiply by .6 so, 8.5*.6= 5.1 of DME

What type of DME is the substitution for 2-row(pale, extra pale, combination, other)? And does anything else need to be changed?

I just put this into the Brew Builder, and the 8.5 lbs of 2-Row gives you 1.046 OG and 3.45 SRM. If you put in a can of Munton's Extra Light LME, and 2 lbs of Extra Light DME you get 1.045 and 3.3 SRM which is pretty close. The rest of the grains can just be steeped, so you really only need to convert the 2-Row.

Ed

From BeerSmith using Briess Pilsen Light DME as a base, if you need something altered let me know.

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs 15.8 oz DME Pilsen Light (Briess) (2.0 SRM) Dry Extract 85.10 %
5.6 oz Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
5.3 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.67 %
5.3 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.67 %
0.6 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.56 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (45 min) Hops 29.5 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.00 oz Liberty [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.00 oz Liberty [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.052 SG (1.040-1.050 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.010-1.012 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 18.4 SRM (10.0-20.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 35.9 IBU (14.0-20.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 9.0 AAU

I would not use muttons as that is an english base probably made with marris otter and will be somewhat richer.

I would not use pilsner extract either as that was made from pilsner malt.

Use an american malt extract and the paler the better. Extra light or extra pale or whatever they call it. The american extracts are made from 2 row. 6 lbs would probably do it

I would not use muttons as that is an english base probably made with marris otter and will be somewhat richer.

I would not use pilsner extract either as that was made from pilsner malt.

Not necessarily true, they could be made from any combination of base malts. In an extract brew you use a "base malt extract" then tweak your flavors, aromas & colors with the Steeping/PM/Specialty grains.

But... ...if you want to use a different type of DME, I can plug that in to BrewSmith as well. I have a 50lb bag of Pilsen Light so that's what I use in all my brew's that aren't All Grain now. FWIW, I can't taste any difference between a recipe with Golden Light DME, and Pilsen Light DME as long as I account for the Specialty Grains in Beersmith.

Also, the Pilsen Light (Briess) is equivelant to just about any Extra Light DME. It's just Briess' brand name.

The rest of the grains can just be steeped, so you really only need to convert the 2-Row.

Will this be true of just about any all-grain recipe? There's a lot of all-grain recipes I'd like to do, but I don't really want to partial mash. So I can just always use extract for the base and then steep grains?

Will this be true of just about any all-grain recipe? There's a lot of all-grain recipes I'd like to do, but I don't really want to partial mash. So I can just always use extract for the base and then steep grains?

Generally, yes. Sometimes there are grains that must be mashed, but overall you can do what was suggested and keep the steeping grains and use DME or LME for the base malt.

Rye is one thing that they don't make an extract for. Most other have some sort of extract equivalent.

Munich = Munich
Wheat extract is a blend of wheat and pale malt
american pale = 2 row
english pale = marris otter
Pilsner = Pilsner

Just stay away from the amber and dark extracts. Those are pale base malts + crystal malt and/or roasted malts. It's not that they are bad it's just that who knows what kind of malts are in them and how much.

Back