Home improvement salesmen rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also to me if you get charged 9000 dollars and it takes the crew one day the same crew could just mess around and make it take 3 days and you would feel as bad, but because they are good at what they do you want to punish them if you get a good they they work like clockwork. 3000$ profit is not that bad to me working in the hot sun with the danger of falling and salaries to pay. Each of those 6 guys make at least 15$ per hour which is around 600$ per day n labor plus you have gas cost for your trucks, insurance of around 25$ per day on big companies, and permit fees, etc... So the company probably is clearing around 1500$ in my opinion that's a reasonable profit for re roofing a house. The owner probably has a salary of 80k a year

Paying full price ($9,000) the owner will put a lot more than $1,500 in his pocket from that one day job. Take cost of materials, labor, and any other cost imaginable (insurance, office expenses, office salary, vehicle expenses) and I can say with certainty that he would be putting more like $3,000 in his pocket.

Lots of wiggle room here.

Sry I just re read your post. Yes those types of salesman do gouge. They are on the other end of the spectrum from my rant. So I do agree, when I bid a job I do it via experience AND education, no it's not a phd but it is a masters. When my bid is honest I get the low balled cheapskates and the high end "pros" . In the end I get the call to come "inspect" their work. So, that's where my rant arose. Not against you actually. Just been rough lately.

alane1 said:
No, we usually employ only Americans and believe in a fair wage.

Barring hurricanes, the roof in MA takes significantly more of a beating in than in NC, plus cost of living, housing costs, and raw materials are higher. That leads to significantly higher costs for everything related to construction. Hence the higher roofing costs.

Sry I just re read your post. Yes those types of salesman do gouge. They are on the other end of the spectrum from my rant. So I do agree, when I bid a job I do it via experience AND education, no it's not a phd but it is a masters. When my bid is honest I get the low balled cheapskates and the high end "pros" . In the end I get the call to come "inspect" their work. So, that's where my rant arose. Not against you actually. Just been rough lately.

Someone who is experienced - meaning they can diagnose the problem and fix it properly I am willing to pay a reasonable price. I don't expect an experienced plumber who has his own business to work for crack head wages.

Getting a $9,000 estimate on a $4,500 roof job is an insult. Hey Mr. roofer, do you think I'm that f'ing stupid?

Some aspects of it do, relatively speaking, to do it right anyway.

You are correct. There is a right and a wrong way to put a roof on.

For instance, I have soffit rot where the roof/ siding was not properly flashed. In all likelihood, this was a result of an inexperienced foreman who spent his time eating biscuits and playing with his self in the truck instead of doing his job. The immigrant workers who were doing the grunt work were just doing it the way they thought it was suppose to be done.

I spent a few years as a manager and I can tell you that you can train a monkey to do just about any manual labor job. It's not rocket science by any stretch of the imagination.

The responsibility in doing the job correctly lays in the hands of the foreman, not the grunt labors.

Most people who know what they're doing would probably rate their job as not rocket science, except for maybe rocket scientists. :)

Most people who know what they're doing would probably rate their job as not rocket science, except for maybe rocket scientists. :)

This is true. For most of us, learning how to do a job only takes a few days. Becoming a master at what we do can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few years, in most cases the former.

OrdinaryAvgGuy said:
Someone who is experienced - meaning they can diagnose the problem and fix it properly I am willing to pay a reasonable price. I don't expect an experienced plumber who has his own business to work for crack head wages.

Getting a $9,000 estimate on a $4,500 roof job is an insult. Hey Mr. roofer, do you think I'm that f'ing stupid?

Your right on that. But youre also smarter than most people he gives estimates to. Figure if he's getting that on one or two bids and can knock it out that's pretty nice mark up. If it's an insurance claim than they figure what the hell. I cut out roofing when I was in my twenties, hard as all he'll, dangerous and little profit margin.

I feel the same way about taking my car to the shop. 300 for brake pads, $40' 30 mins and a beer. Done. If most people knew what an o2 sensor was that little check engine light wouldn't be going cha Ching so often.

If most people knew what an o2 sensor was that little check engine light wouldn't be going cha Ching so often.

Naw, you'd get the business anyway. You'd just have to work a bit harder to get the broken off old one out first. :p

Hmm well i think you have to define everything before hiring a man because any small thing can make a big trouble. and always hire a trusted people because its more good and you are tension free. Good luck.

Back