Great Lakes Hops, or High Hops for ordering hop crowns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure but I've heard nothing but great things from great lakes....

also I've asked a couple questions and they have always answered them!

not to mention i know they are a vendor here so they support this great website!

Trying to weigh the cost between the two, and do not want to pay 10.50 shipping twice, High Hops has a few varieties freshops was selling as rhizomes that I didn't get to order due to financial constraints, but Great Lakes hops offers individual pricing per crown as opposed to a flat 9.80 per crown.

I had two orders from Great Lakes Hops this year arrive in excellent condition. All are doing well, even the one that my dog "unplanted" and left on the patio for a day. (They are inside of fencing now!)

Great Lakes!!! Check this out. These were all purchased in April and planted the same day. I couldn't get every variety I wanted from GL, so I figured I would try an experiment.

For reference, the Cascade plant is about 7' tall.

OUVAP.jpg

my two cascades / chinooks from great lakes are monsters approaching 9' :).. pretty good for the 1st year and they still have several more months of growing!

You cannot go wrong with Great Lake's hops...they provide the best mail ordered plant material that I have ever received and are very accessable online and they offer helpful information to all growers.

I have purchased 100 from High Hops and 100 from Great lakes, they have all went into shock, not sure if its the elevation of 5600' or the shipping time. But the hops from Great Lakes look to be recovering a little better. And they are interested in there progress to make sure they will recover. I thought that was awesome.

I received 3 chinook crowns from Great Lakes Hops. They have huge roots already started. I've been taking really good care of them, read the suggustions that came with the plants. The leaves never even turned yellow; the instructions said some yellowing is normal. I would recommend GLH...

+ 1 Great Lakes Hops, in 15 days my crowns have grown 6 feet... healthy plants, wonderful facility and great people... excellent online help and support.

Not at all, but when you plant a rhizome it has to expend energy in both directions by developing roots and shoots. The crown usually has some roots developed so it can spend more energy on the shoots which usually equates to a guaranteed harvest in your first year. If you have the money available and are an impatient person, buy the crowns. If not, save a few bucks and get the rhizomes.

glad to heard all the excellent reviews for great lakes hops.. i just ordered 3 crowns from them for my new garden.. so excited!!!!

Yeah my crowns from Great Lakes Hops I got back in the fall are already sprouting again for this spring. Very happy with the plants and their service!

mopillar said:
Yeah my crowns from Great Lakes Hops I got back in the fall are already sprouting again for this spring. Very happy with the plants and their service!

Wow. Already sprouts. Didn't think GA weather had been that much different then TN. Make sure you cover em when it frost over again. I hope mine don't come up till April. Last year was a pain in the ass baby sitting over the frost.

Wow. Already sprouts. Didn't think GA weather had been that much different then TN. Make sure you cover em when it frost over again. I hope mine don't come up till April. Last year was a pain in the ass baby sitting over the frost.

Well I am down on coastal GA and we shouldn't have any more frosts......hopefully. Even with the cold this week it might get in the mid 30s at night but probably not. Thanks for looking out for me though!

Great Lakes!!! Check this out. These were all purchased in April and planted the same day. I couldn't get every variety I wanted from GL, so I figured I would try an experiment.

For reference, the Cascade plant is about 7' tall.

OUVAP.jpg

I'm wondering how these turned out in the small red planters? Let us know, and if they're growing this year!!

Just wanted to say thank you guys for all the support! While a majority of our energy and capability is devoted to commercial growing we want to make sure every individual customer that buys crowns from us has the best possible product and best experience possible. We love reading comments and hearing feed back!

Love you guys!

Austin @ GLH

P.S. All of our test plots are grown in containers are we have boarder line ridiculous results. :)

993949_487685031310741_456591573_n.jpg

Back