Beer industry advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
Ok so I'm a college student studying Supply Chain Management with a focus towards logistics and distribution. Ever since I started homebrewing I have known that I want to work in the distribution side of the beer industry for a craft brewery. In one of my logistics classes we are doing like a 50 pages paper on the supply chain of my local micro's most popular beer, and the distru/sales guy at the brewery has been helping me. I recently emailed him to see if they would accept me as a volunteer and they shot me down, saying they were going through an expansion now and things were hectic. He also made a point of saying they wouldnt be looking for an 'intern' for quite a while. This is the only micro in my town, do you guys have any advice on what my next move should be? I was contemplating applying for busser and seeing if I could transition in that way? The next closest micro is about 2 hours South East from here so thats not really a feasable option for me.

I would say taking a job period even a few hours a week to get your presence in the door is a good idea. Then you can start bringing the head brewer in some beers every now and then and becomes buddies with him. Life is all about who you know.

what about applying with an actual beer distributor? How about a wine/liquor distributor?

They are the ONLY microbrewery joint in town? How about starting a brewery? Just kidding.
Good luck!

If you're looking at the distribution side, start with a distributor (beer or otherwise). Southern Wine & Spirits is a big one in AZ. Regardless of the name, I know the do beer as well. With an office/warehouse in Phoenix.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! When I was stating distribution earlier, I mean more internal logistics as in supply management on the part of the brewery. In our class we lump all that stuff under the term distribution. While still interested I am less interested in working for the distribution company then for an actual craft brewery. I will be checking out probrewer tonight, thank you Revvy for the suggestion. The guy at the brewery today was really nice and I tried to make sure I asked him some good non civilian questions so he knows I'm not a spy sent from BMC to infiltrate his ranks. I have been learning a ton just researching the local brewery and I am having a good time doing it. I will be going back later and submitting a busser application.

Back