How long from bottling to cold and drinkable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishStout

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I haven't been around in a while, so please forgive my very basic question.

I have my first beer (Munton's bock kit +3lb DME and .25lb sugar) sitting in primary. It's been there for about 10 months. It's been a time consuming year, heheheh. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's still good (it was fine when I checked it a couple months ago) and was hoping I could bottle it and have ready to drink when family comes to visit for Xmas.

How long would it take to go from freshly bottled to conditioned, carbonated, and cold? Also, will I need fresh yeast so that my bottles will actually carbonate?

Yes, add 1/4 of a packet of dry yeast to the bottling bucket. Wait three weeks with the bottles at room temperature. Your patience will be rewarded.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. This is just my own opinion (which may or may not be right).
If the beer tastes good, it's still good.
If it's been sitting that long, some new yeast would be a good idea. If you didn't need it, you didn't hurt anything.
Bottle conditioning takes about a week, give or take. More complex or higher gravity beers take more time to age well. I would think your bock kit would be fine after a week or so. Maybe let it sit an extra week, to be safe.

I know this is a bit off topic but how much alcohol evaporates from the beer while sitting in a bucket or carboy especially for extended periods?

I say wait 4 weeks. I always try one at 3 but it's never as good. Make sure you put your beer in the fridge overnight or the carbonation won't go into the liquid as well.

If your doing regular bottle carbing, then add your priming sugar, bottle, wait two weeks bottles at room temp 70ish, Then bam! all done.

If it's been 10 months I'd add more yeast. But even adding fresh yeast, it may not be carbed and conditioned by Christmas, but it might be, just don't put all your holiday beer drinking eggs in this basket.

I've never had an ale fully carbed and fully aged (conditioned) in 2 weeks flat. Even my OS lager kit took 4 weeks in the bottle to be really good. Light pale malt goodness screaming for some flavor hops that it didn't come with. But otherwise good for an English style ale.

Back