Ending the Bottle Bomb Threat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choguy03

Reaction score
I can't believe that after about 8 batches I am just not getting my first few bottle bombs. I am about 99.9% sure that it is because I put too much priming sugar in when bottling. Anyway, I have had them in bottle for about 3 weeks now and only have had 2 bombs. I know I could un cap and re cap them all but I really don't know what the end result will be. I have them in my fermentation cabinet and was thinking about turning down the temp to 65 F or so to help slow the carbonation process. If I keep the bottles at 65 F for a week and then put them back to room temp will I stop the process enough to remove the safety hazard? After the week, will any more carbing be taking place? Or do I have no choice but to un cap and re cap? Thanks dudes.

To slow the process effectively, you need to get them down around 40° F. If you let them warm up again, fermentation will continue, and you will still have bottle bombs.

Uncapping is the only option to permanently remove the threat.

You can just lightly pry on the cap until it hisses to release some C02. You will have to do it several times over a few days as the C02 comes out of solution in the beer.

If I pop all the caps and then recap, will the finished product still have enough carbonation?

If it's at the point of bursting bottles it wont even let enough out. Too much will stay in solution (but then I have no experience with bombs.) You will have to leave them open for a short time. I don't know how long. I imagine it will foam over and you'll loose most of it anyway.

Back