Someone else from Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phissionkorps

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello as I just joined up last night. I've been homebrewing almost 2 years, but couldn't really do it often. I used to live in Lubbock, and there aren't very many yeast strains that are tolerant to the temps there, since its 110° for 6 months, then 30° for 6 months. I just now moved to Fort Worth, so at least I have a brew shop about an hour away now. I've made an oatmeal stout, heller bock, American wheat, and raspberry porter, all from kits, and as soon as I get my ingredients that I ordered in, I'm going to try a Biere de Garde as per this recipe I made up: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=76443

I also plan on making my first mead in the near future, since I've never had that either, and I hear Chaucer's is gagworthy :).

Anyway, this seems like a great resource and I look forward to improving my technique :mug:

Hello everyone! I also just joined, today, and am looking forward to learning alot from you guys. I am also a Texan, from Houston, home of the GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM IN THE WORLD! Nah, just kidding. I'm actually a Packers fan. I am coming back to homebrewing after 15 years and am really excited to be doing it again. In the past I have brewed a Killians Irish Red clone, an IPA, Pilsner, and Porter. I am currently working on a Shiner Bock clone as my first batch and after will be trying a Blackberry Dopplebock.

Just out of curiosity what is the greatness behind the Apfelwein that I keep seeing everyone talking about in the forums?? I already want to brew some just to see what it is. I get that it must be an Apple Wine but what's special about it??

This is one of the best sites I've been able to find and I look forward to picking up on all of the shared knowledge.

I'm originally from H-town ;). First lived down 1960, then moved to The Woodlands.

Apparently there's a knights of the brown bottle meeting in Ft. Worth tomorrow? I've been out already, but assuming I wake up in time, I'll probably make it out there.

Welcome to HBT -

You should check out the thread for fellow Texan EdWort and his famous Haus Ale .. very simple recipe and great results.

Money Magazine rated Houston as one of the Best places to live ... I really do want to visit sometime ..

I would just be afraid of the huricanes .. up here, all I worry abt is having enough wood for the wood stove !

Meh, Hurricanes aren't that bad unless its a 3 or higher.
Houston is cool but I'm seriously considering moving to Knoxville TN ( I have friends there ) that I can actually experience 4 seasons a year. Its just too hot here!

Just wanted to say hello as I just joined up last night. I've been homebrewing almost 2 years, but couldn't really do it often. I used to live in Lubbock, and there aren't very many yeast strains that are tolerant to the temps there, since its 110° for 6 months, then 30° for 6 months. I just now moved to Fort Worth, so at least I have a brew shop about an hour away now. I've made an oatmeal stout, heller bock, American wheat, and raspberry porter, all from kits, and as soon as I get my ingredients that I ordered in, I'm going to try a Biere de Garde as per this recipe I made up: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=76443

I also plan on making my first mead in the near future, since I've never had that either, and I hear Chaucer's is gagworthy :).

Anyway, this seems like a great resource and I look forward to improving my technique :mug:

I'm a Ft Worth guy too, welcome!

In Fort Worth, there are two shops close. One in Arlington, Dr. Jeckyl's, and one in Fort Worth, The Winemaker Shop. There's one in Richardson as well, HomebrewHQ. HomebrewHQ probably has the best staff, The Winemaker Shop has the best selection of ingredients but a mediocre staff, and Dr. Jeckyl's has a limited supply but a heck of a nice guy in Pat.

Well yesterday some things came up, and I couldn't get out to Richardson and back, so I ended up at The Winemaker Shop. They had everything I needed, and I prices were decent. Not great, but not bad. At least for what I needed yesterday, cheaper than ordering online, but I only picked up a 1 gallon glass carboy, #7.5 stopper, airlock, campden tablets, and some yeast. About their ingredients, I can't say.
The guy working there seemed to know his stuff, and was pretty friendly. He was the kind of staff I like: knew what he was talking about, knew at least I had some sort of idea about what I was talking about, and helped me without hovering. I'll be making a trip to HBHQ sometime in the near future, but I'll be using The Winemaker Shop when I need something quick or just an item or two. After all, it is the closest one.

Back